This is a virus detection. Viruses are programs that self-replicate recursively, meaning that infected systems spread the virus to other systems, which then propagate the virus further. While many viruses contain a destructive payload, it's quite common for viruses to do nothing more than spread from one system to another.
This Internet worm may arrive as an email message in the following format:
Subject = "You gotta check it out"
"You won't belive this picture I found in the net. Please open it now and see this amazing thing."
Attachments = "SEXPIC.JPG.vbs"
The attachment contains the Internet worm.
If this Internet worm is run intentionally or accidentally, it will install to the local system in various locations and run at Windows startup. It will check the system date each time and if the date is matched, it will activate an email send routine.
Modifications of the system registry and/or WIN.INI file as mentioned below. Modification of the MIRC.INI file as mentioned below.
If this Internet worm is run intentionally or accidentally, the following changes will occur to the local system:
* copy itself to the following locations
* modify the registry in the following locations in order to load at Windows startup
ScanRegistry = [windows]\winsys.vbs
Run = [windows\system]\winsys.vbs"
RunServices = [temp]\winsys.vbs
WinLoad = [windows\system]\sexpic.jpg.vbs
* modifies the WIN.INI file to load the Internet worm at Windows startup
load = [windows\system]\kernel.vbs
run = [windows]\winsck.vbs
* modifies the SYSTEM.INI file to load the Internet worm at Windows startup
shell = Explorer.exe explorer.vbs
* modifies MIRC.INI to send "sexpic.jpg.vbs" when connecting to IRC channels
* checks the system date - if the day is either the 10th, 20th or 30th, activates email send routine to forward itself to everyone in the address book using the format mentioned in the 'Characteristics' section
All Users :
Script,Batch,Macro and non memory-resident:
Use current engine and DAT files for detection and removal.
PE,Trojan,Internet Worm and memory resident :
Use specified engine and DAT files for detection. To remove, boot to MS-DOS mode or use a boot diskette and use the command line scanner:
Users should not trust file icons, particularly when receiving files from others via P2P clients, IRC, email or other mediums where users can share files.
AVERT Recommended Updates :
* Malformed Word Document Could Enable Macro to Run Automatically (Information/Patch )
* Outlook as an email attachment security update
* Exchange 5.5 post SP3 Information Store Patch 5.5.2652.42 - this patch corrects detection issues with GroupShield
For a list of attachments blocked by the Outlook patch and a general FAQ, visit this link .
Additionally, Network Administrators can configure this update using an available tool - visit this link for more information .
It is very common for macro viruses to disable options within Office applications for example in Word, the macro protection warning commonly is disabled. After cleaning macro viruses, ensure that your previously set options are again enabled.