This is a virus detection. Viruses are programs that self-replicate recursively, meaning that infected systems spread the virus to other systems, which then propagate the virus further. While many viruses contain a destructive payload, it's quite common for viruses to do nothing more than spread from one system to another.
4001 (1998-11-25)Updated DAT
- Disable Word's macro protection
- Upon initial infection, a message box appears reading, "1".
- On the 25th day of month a message box appears which reads "Il est [current time]". This box will reappear every 2 minutes on that day.
- On January 8th a message box entitled, "Another Year of Survival...", appears which reads, "Hides the program manager".
- On Sunday a message box entitled, "It's Sunday & I intend to relax!", appears reading, "Closes current file".
- If the name of the current document is less than 9 characters in length, then a message box entitled "Longer File Names Should Be Used" appears.
- Attempts to count the number of times an infected doc is opened by incrementing a counter written to "Winword8.ini"
- Based on this counter, the 23rd time a document is opened after the initial infection, the status bar is changed to "DOEUNPAD98, V3.0,(c) Maret 1998" which scrolls along the bottom left corner of the screen. The counter is then reset to 1.
- Attempts to count the number of times an infected doc is opened by incrementing a counter written to "Nuclear98.ini"
- Based on this counter, the 12th time a document is printed after the initial infection, this message appears:
"And finally i would like to say"
"STOP ALL FRENCH NUCLEAR TESTING IN THE PACIFIC!"
The counter is then reset to 1.
- When the TOOLS|MACRO|MACROS menu is selected a form is shown containing buttons. When a button is pressed, a message box stating, "Ce programme a ralis une opration illgale et va tre interrompu." appears (translated, this reads "This program carried out an illegal operation and will be stopped."). The same message appears when the TOOLS|MACROS|VISUAL BASIC EDITOR menu is selected.
Opening an infected document modifies the global "Normal.dot" template to spread the infection.
All Users :
Script,Batch,Macro and non memory-resident:
Use current engine and DAT files for detection and removal.
PE,Trojan,Internet Worm and memory resident :
Use specified engine and DAT files for detection. To remove, boot to MS-DOS mode or use a boot diskette and use the command line scanner:
Users should not trust file icons, particularly when receiving files from others via P2P clients, IRC, email or other mediums where users can share files.
AVERT Recommended Updates :
* Malformed Word Document Could Enable Macro to Run Automatically (Information/Patch )
* Outlook as an email attachment security update
* Exchange 5.5 post SP3 Information Store Patch 5.5.2652.42 - this patch corrects detection issues with GroupShield
For a list of attachments blocked by the Outlook patch and a general FAQ, visit this link .
Additionally, Network Administrators can configure this update using an available tool - visit this link for more information .
It is very common for macro viruses to disable options within Office applications for example in Word, the macro protection warning commonly is disabled. After cleaning macro viruses, ensure that your previously set options are again enabled.