Trend Countdown: My Top 5 Digital Marketing Trends to Watch

This blog post was written by Penny Baldwin.

Marketers, take note: A killer digital marketing campaign is no longer about a banner ad campaign and a lukewarm social presence. If you’re not staying on top of user behavior and of-the-moment trends, you’re not going to win over your market share. The good news: there are more members of the online community than ever, and that means there’s a magnitude of ways to tap into that community that were, until now, unimaginable.

This new digital landscape doesn’t have to be as daunting as it often appears. Sure, we’re going to read about companies serving up ads via smart refrigerators and connected cars, but the big marketing picture doesn’t have to be that specialized. Some of the trends that we’ve been seeing up until this point are actually pointing to a more tangible marketing experience, and can be adopted and integrated into day-to-day strategies.

So, what can we, as marketers, do to keep up with the digital transformation and stay on top of digital marketing trends?

Let’s let some numbers do the talking while we count down some of the top trends of digital marketing for 2015.

Five: Mobile Makes an Entrance

34% of those involved in B2B buying decisions in 2014 used their mobile devices across each stage of the purchase process. (Google)

Even if you’re not in the B2B space, it’s impossible to deny the emergence of mobile in the digital marketing mix. This year will be no different than 2014, and marketers thoughtfully integrating mobile strategies into their campaigns. At this point, it’s virtually unacceptable to have a site that isn’t optimized for the mobile experience. Content consumption is happening on the go, 24/7 – it’s our job as marketers to make the transition from desktop to mobile as seamless as possible. Even mobile advertising is getting in on the action, with the rise of companies like Millenial Media coming into play.

Four: Video on the Rise

70% of those researching B2B products and services now use video across the purchase path (Google)

First, content was king. Then it was visual content. Now, it seems that video is taking the throne. Video as a digital marketing tool is one of the top trends coming into play right now, and everyone is jumping on board. From product demos to brand awareness campaigns, marketers continue to turn to videos to help them tell their stories.

Three: Omnipresence is Key

52% of online adults use two or more social media sites. (Pew Research Center)

In 2015, we’re going to continue to see brands strengthen their Facebook and Twitter presences, while chasing after greener communities like Instagram, Pinterest and Vine. As marketers, we need to be where our audiences are, and according to the stats, they’re in more than one place.

Two: Cashing in on Conversions

Paid social leads to 25% more conversions than organic social. (AOL)

While it’s encouraging to see so many brands make the shift to an online-first marketing strategy, it also means that there aren’t enough pieces of the pie to go around. Twitter says that one tweet may only be digested by 30% of your followers, leaving a whopping 70% virtually untouched. Those users are your leads, your customers, your advocates – and paying for social advertising helps to capture them. We’re going to continue to see paid online media grow as a digital marketing tactic throughout 2015. 

One: Experimenting with the Mix

Consumers expect brands to have an active presence on at least 3-4 social channels. (Social Media Examiner)

With all of these trends, I think the biggest one we continue to see is how marketers are experimenting with their digital marketing mix. When looking at the buying cycle, there are more and more ways to target users at different points in the funnel, and brands certainly aren’t shying away from trying them all. From presence on multiple social networks, to PPC ad campaigns, to user-generated content and contests, we’re seeing it all.

We’re barely a quarter of the way through 2015, and already the year is proving to be an exciting time to be a part of such a dynamic marketing landscape. Hopefully we’ll continue to see innovation drive the engagement strategies of brands and marketers, and I’m looking forward to seeing what trends make it out of the year on top.

What are some of your favorite trends in digital marketing so far? Tweet me @PennyRBaldwin and let’s continue the conversation.

Introducing McAfee+

Identity theft protection and privacy for your digital life

FacebookLinkedInTwitterEmailCopy Link

Stay Updated

Follow us to stay updated on all things McAfee and on top of the latest consumer and mobile security threats.


More from Executive Perspectives

Back to top