Privacy & Legal Terms
Product Terms of Service
Trademark Policy & Guidelines
Website Terms of Service
Virus Protection Pledge
Effective date: December 01, 2021
This Notice provides information about data we collect, use, and share, and our commitment to using the personal data we collect in a respectful fashion.
- What Kinds of Information Do We Collect?
- How Do We Use the Information We Collect?
- Third-Party Advertising
- Who Do We Share Personal Data With?
- How Do We Protect Your Data?
- What Choices Do You Have About Your Personal Data?
- How Long Does McAfee Retain the Personal Data it Collects?
- Children's Privacy
- Residents of the EEA
- Supervisory authority and complaints
- Residents of Japan, Argentina, and Canada
- Residents of California
- Residents of Nevada
- Links to other websites
- Contact Us
We at McAfee, LLC, including our affiliates (“McAfee”, “we”, “us”, “our”), care deeply about privacy, security, and online safety, all of which are a significant part of our essential mission: to protect users of our products and services (“you” and “your”) from the risks of theft, disruption, and unauthorized access to their online information and activities. This Privacy Notice (“Notice”) is designed to inform you about how we collect, use, and share your personal data through our website (our “Site”), products, services, and web-based and mobile applications (collectively, the “Services”) or when you interact with us.
McAfee sells products and services directly to consumers (you can find more information about those products here, “Consumer Products”). This Privacy Notice applies both to the information we collect from you or your device when you download one of our Services and to the information we collect when one of our distribution partners installs our Services on your device.
When you access or use our Services, you acknowledge that you have read this Notice and understand its contents. Your use of our Services and the Site and any dispute over privacy is subject to this Notice, any applicable Terms of Service (including any applicable limitations on damages and the resolution of disputes) and any applicable End User License Agreement.
As McAfee grows, our business changes, and we may update this Notice at any time as we deem appropriate to reflect those changes. If there are any material changes to this Privacy Notice, we will notify you by email, in-product notification, or as otherwise required by applicable law. It is important that you check back and make sure that you have reviewed the most current version of this Notice.
This Notice applies to all users of our Services across the world. Some users, including residents of the European Economic Area, may have additional rights depending on where they are located, which are described in this Notice.
In order to provide our services, we collect information. Some information you provide directly to us, some we collect automatically through our Services, and some is collected from third parties. In this Notice, "Personal Data" refers to data that could be used, alone or in combination with other data, to identify you as an individual.
We collect information you provide to us. For example, we collect information when you purchase a product or service, create an account, fill out a form, participate in a contest or promotion, request customer service, or otherwise communicate with us.
The types of Personal Data you may provide includes:
- Contact information (such as name, email address, mailing address, and phone number)
- Payment information (including payment card numbers and associated identifiers, billing address, and bank account information); and
- Account log-in credentials (which for some Services may include social network credentials).
We may also collect other information from or about you, such as information about what products you purchased, your interests, demographic information, photographs and videos, and biometric data such as fingerprints or voice prints. You may also provide us with additional data. For example, when you use our identity monitoring services, you will have the option to provide your social media log-in information so that we can monitor your social media accounts.
We automatically collect information about your interactions with the Services as well as devices on which the Services are installed. In some cases, we automatically collect information about other devices connected to the same network as the device on which the Services are installed.
For example, we may collect and use the following:
- Information about the products you looked at or searched for and the Services you used, including time spent and other statistical information.
- Details about your computers, devices, applications, and networks, including internet protocol (IP) address, cookie identifiers, mobile carrier, Bluetooth device IDs, mobile device ID, mobile advertising identifiers, MAC address, IMEI, Advertiser IDs, and other device identifiers that are automatically assigned to your computer or device when you access the Internet, browser type and language, language preferences, battery level, on/off status, geo-location information, hardware type, operating system, Internet service provider, pages that you visit before and after using the Services, the date and time of your visit, the amount of time you spend on each page, information about the links you click and pages you view within the Services, and other actions taken through use of the Services such as preferences. We may collect this information through our Services or through other methods of web analysis.
- When you use our products to protect your mobile device, we collect geolocation data of the device on which the product is installed.
- Details about your internet, app, or network usage (including URLs or domain names of websites you visit, information about the applications installed on your device, or traffic data); and performance information, crash logs, and other aggregate or statistical information.
In order to provide you our Services, including to detect and evaluate malware and spam, we may scan, collect, and store data from your files, including emails, attachments, email addresses, metadata, and URLs and traffic data.
We collect this information through our Services and through technologies such as cookies, web beacons or web bugs, and clear GIFs. Please see our Cookie Notice for more information about the cookies and similar technologies that we use and the choices available to you.
Note that if you use our VPN services, our VPN servers do not look at or log any information that you send or receive on the internet.
Information We Collect from Third Parties
We may receive information about you from other sources and combine that information with the information we collect directly. Examples of information we may receive from other sources include: updated delivery or payment information used to correct our records; purchase or redemption information; and customer support and enrolment information. For our identity protection Consumer Products, we also may collect credit or identity information which we use to help prevent and detect fraud.
Certain Services may request permission to access your location. Where you grant this permission, we will collect information about your location using GPS, wireless, or Bluetooth technology. You can control access to precise location information through your mobile device settings. We also may look up your IP address to determine your general location.
To Help Protect You
When you install or use one of our Services, it will run in the background of your device or environment to help predict threats and better protect you, your devices, and your information. For example, McAfee may use information to:
- Analyze data sent to/from your device(s) to isolate and identify threats, vulnerabilities, viruses, suspicious activity, spam, and attacks, and communicate with you about potential threats;
- Participate in threat intelligence networks, conduct research, and adapt products and services to help respond to new threats;
- Encrypt your data, lockdown a device, or back-up or recover your data;
- Check for Service updates and create performance reports on our Services, to ensure they are performing properly; and
- Look for misuses of your data when you use our identity monitoring products.
To Run Our Business
We also use the information we collect for other business purposes, including to:
- Authenticate your identity and prevent fraud with your biometric data;
- Analyze your behavior to measure, customize, and improve our Site and Services, including developing new products and services;
- Advertise McAfee products and services that we think may be of interest to you;
- Establish and manage accounts and licenses, including by collecting and processing payments and completing transactions;
- Provide customer support, troubleshoot issues, manage subscriptions, and respond to requests, questions, and comments;
- Communicate about, and administer participation in, special events, programs, surveys, contests, sweepstakes, and other offers and promotions;
- Conduct market and consumer research and trend analyses;
- Enable posting on our blogs, forums, and other public communications;
- Perform accounting, auditing, billing, reconciliation, and collection activities;
- Prevent, detect, identify, investigate, and respond to potential or actual claims, liabilities, prohibited behavior, and criminal activity; and
- Comply with and enforce legal rights, requirements, agreements, and policies.
- Cookies are used to record your interactions with our Site.
We work with third-party advertising companies to display or deliver ads to you while you are on our Site or using some Services. These third-party advertisers may collect data about your interaction with the Site or Services or others’ sites or services to measure the effectiveness of their ads and to personalize advertising content. See our Cookie Notice to learn more about how McAfee and these advertising partners use tracking technologies like cookies and the choices available to you.
If you have consented to allow our Services to access to your location, our mobile advertising partners may use your location to target advertisements to you. You may use the location settings on your device to withdraw access to information about your location
We may use Personal Data for which we have a legitimate interest, such as direct marketing, individual or market research, anti-fraud protection, or any other purpose disclosed to you at the time you provide Personal Data or with your consent.
Generally, we disclose the information we collect to provide the Services, to communicate with you, to advertise or promote our Services, to facilitate changes to or transfers of our business, as required by law, or with your consent. We may share Personal information in the following ways:
- With current and future members of the McAfee family of companies for the purposes described in this Notice;
- With service providers who perform services for us (see the list of our sub-processors for Consumer Products is available upon request for where required under applicable laws)
- If we believe disclosure is necessary and appropriate to prevent physical, financial, or other harm, injury, or loss, including to protect against fraud or credit risk;
- To legal, governmental, or judicial authorities as instructed or required by those authorities and applicable laws, or in relation to a legal activity, such as in response to a subpoena or investigation of suspected illicit or illegal activities, or where we believe in good faith that users may be engaged in illicit or illegal activities, or where we are bound by contract or law to enable a customer or business partner to comply with applicable laws;
- In connection with, or during negotiations for, an acquisition, merger, asset sale, or other similar business transfer that involves all or substantially all of our assets or functions where Personal Data is transferred or shared as part of the business assets (provided that such party agrees to use or disclose such Personal Data consistent with this Notice or gains your consent for other uses or disclosures);
- With your consent or at your direction, such as when you choose to share information or publicly post content and reviews (for example, social media posts); and
- With persons of your choosing and at your discretion, should the product you are subscribed to allow that functionality.
- We may also share aggregate data that does not identify you or any specific device with third parties.
We use administrative, organizational, technical, and physical safeguards to protect the Personal Data we collect and process. Our security controls are designed to maintain data confidentiality, integrity, and an appropriate level of availability.
If you register a McAfee Consumer Product, you can access and correct the Personal Data in your profile at any time by visiting My Account or contacting us as described below.
If you have not registered a McAfee product but one of our products is installed on your device, you may stop McAfee’s collection of Personal data from your device by uninstalling that product.
To close your account and for other support questions, please visit the McAfee Contact Us page and click on “Support” tab and then select your "Country".
To stop receiving marketing communications, click on the unsubscribe link in the email, or click here for Consumer marketing.
If you choose to no longer receive marketing information, McAfee may still communicate with you regarding transactional, legal or administrative topics, such as security updates, product functionality, and service requests.
Individual Rights in Personal Data
In accordance with applicable law, you may have the right to: (i) request confirmation of whether we are processing your Personal Data; (ii) obtain access to or a copy of your Personal Data; (iii) receive a portable copy of your Personal Data, or ask us to send that information to another organization (the “right of data portability”); (iv) seek correction or amendment of inaccurate, untrue, incomplete, or improperly processed Personal Data; (v) restrict our processing of your Personal Data; (vi) object to our processing of your Personal Data; and (vii) request erasure of Personal Data held about you by us, subject to certain exceptions prescribed by law.
If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please visit our Individual Data Request Form available at https://www.mcafee.com/en-us/consumer-support/policy/legal/gdpr-data-request.html or contact us as set forth below. We will process such requests in accordance with applicable laws. To protect your privacy, we may take steps to verify your identity before fulfilling your request. For some requests and where permitted by law, an administrative fee may be charged. We will advise you of any applicable fee prior to performing your request.
McAfee will keep your Personal Data for the minimum period necessary for the purposes set out in this Notice, namely (i) for as long as you are a registered subscriber or user of our products or (ii) for as long as your Personal Data are necessary in connection with the lawful purposes set out in this Notice, for which we have a valid legal basis or (iii) for as long as is reasonably necessary for business purposes related to provision of the Services, such as internal reporting and reconcil-iation purposes, warranties or to provide you with feedback or information you might request. Where required by law, we will delete your biometric data within three years of your last interac-tion with the Services.
In addition, if any relevant legal claims are brought, we may continue to process your Personal Data for such additional periods as are necessary in connection with that claim.
Once the abovementioned periods, each to the extent applicable, have concluded, we will either permanently delete, destroy, or de-identify the relevant Personal Data so that it can no longer reasonably be tied to you.
Some of McAfee’s Services provide security features that parents may use to monitor their child’s activity online, physical location, or use of a registered device. These Services require parental consent, and we do not knowingly use the Personal Data we collect from children’s devices for any purpose except to deliver the Services. These products allow parents to delete their child’s profile at any time. If you believe we have collected information from your child in error or have questions or concerns about our practices relating to children, please contact us as described be-low. If you are under the age of 18, you must have your parent’s permission to access the Ser-vices. McAfee urges parents to instruct their children never to give out their real names, address-es, or phone numbers, without parental permission. If you learn that your child has provided us with Personal Data without your consent, you may alert us by contacting us as described below. If we learn that we have collected any Personal Data from children under 13 (and in certain jurisdic-tions under the age of 16), we will promptly take steps to delete such information and terminate the child’s account.
McAfee is headquartered in the United States (see Contact Us for addresses), and we have operations, entities, and service providers in the United States and throughout the world. As such, we and our service providers may transfer your Personal Data to, or store or access it in, jurisdictions that may not provide equivalent levels of data protection as your home jurisdiction. We will take steps to ensure that your Personal Data receives an adequate level of protection in the jurisdictions in which we process it.
If you are in the European Economic (EEA), the following additional disclosures apply.
Where you purchase one of McAfee’s consumer products, McAfee Ireland Limited acts as the Controller of your Personal Data.
Legal Basis for Processing
When we process your Personal Data, we will only do so in the following situations:
- We need to use your Personal Data to perform our responsibilities under our contract with you (e.g. processing payments for and providing the Services you purchase or request).
- We have a legitimate interest in processing your Personal Data. For example, we have a legitimate interest in processing your Personal Data to provide, secure, and improve our Services, in communicating with you about changes to our Services, and in informing you about new services or products.
- We have your consent to do so.
- We need to process your Personal Data to comply with our legal obligations.
We transfer Personal Data to countries outside of the EEA or Switzerland through a series of intercompany agreements based on the Standard Contractual Clauses in accordance with EU law and applicable EU regulations.
Individual Rights Requests and Withdraw Consent
You may submit a request to exercise your rights in Personal Data using the mechanisms explained under "What Choices Do You Have About Your Personal Data?" above. If you initially consented to our processing of your Personal Data, you may withdraw your consent using those mechanisms or by contacting us using the contact information below.
If you are an EU/EEA Data Subject and have a concern about our practices concerning the processing of Personal Data that we are not able to resolve, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the data protection authority where you reside or in which you work, or in which the alleged infringement occurred, each as applicable, or by contacting the Irish supervisory authority for data protection issues, at https://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Home/4.htm, or +353 57 868 4800.
If you are a resident of Japan, Argentina, or Canada and you have an inquiry regarding your personal information held by McAfee, including your personal information collected through your use of our products you may request further information using the Individual Data Request Form available at https://www.mcafee.com/en-us/consumer-support/policy/legal/gdpr-data-request.html.
Your California Privacy Rights - Shine the Light Law
McAfee does not share information that identifies you personally with non-affiliated third parties for their own marketing use without your permission.
If you are a resident of California, you may submit a request to exercise your rights in Personal Data using the Individual Data Request Form available at https://www.mcafee.com/en-us/consumer-support/policy/legal/gdpr-data-request.html For purposes of the California Consumer Privacy Act, McAfee does not “sell” your Personal Data.
McAfee does not sell information that identifies you personally with non-affiliated third parties. If you would like to make a request that we not sell identifying information about you in the future, you may make a request using the contact information below.
Our Site and Services may contain links to other websites for your convenience and information. These websites may be operated by companies not affiliated with McAfee. Linked websites may have their own privacy policies or notices, which we strongly suggest you review if you visit those websites. We are not responsible for the content, privacy practices, or use of any websites that are not affiliated with McAfee.
Click here to contact us regarding this Privacy Notice or other related Privacy issues. You can also write to us as follows:
In the US by registered mail:
Attn: Legal Department – Privacy Office
6220 America Center Drive San Jose, CA 95002 USA
or call us at +1 (888) 847-8766
In the European Economic Area by registered post:
Attn: Legal Department
2000 City Gate
or call us at +353 21 467 2000
In Japan by registered mail:
McAfee Co. Ltd.
Attn. Legal Department
Shibuya Mark City West,
Tokyo, 150-0043 Japan
In South Korea by registered mail:
Attn: Chief Privacy Officer, copy to the Legal Department – Privacy Office
McAfee Korea Limited
5F. Gangnam Finance Center
152, Teheran-ro, Gangnam-gu, Seoul
McAfee License Agreement
Welcome to McAfee
Before you get started, we need to have a quick chat about terms. These terms explain your legal rights and responsibilities when using our software and services. They’re really important, so we’re going to need you to read these terms carefully, including any links, because they’ll become the agreement between you and us.
Things to remember while you read this . . .
1. When you see a word in bold, it will have the same meaning every time it’s used in this document.
2. By clicking an acceptance button, installing, or using the software and services (whether provided by us or one of our partners), you’re agreeing to these terms. If you don’t agree or follow the rules they lay out, you can’t use the software and services.
3. When we say . . . McAfee, we, our or us, this means the McAfee entity that provides the software and services in your region.
4. When we say . . . you or your, this means you or the business or company you’re authorized to represent.
5. If you live in the US, you won’t want to miss our binding arbitration clause and the class action waiver. They outline some very important points about how we resolve disputes.
What about my privacy?
We’re big fans of privacy protection, but we do need to know some of your personal details before you can use the software and services. Make sure to read our Privacy Notice so you understand how and why we collect, use, and share your personal data through our websites, products and services and how you can exercise your rights on your data.
What can I do with McAfee’s software and services?
When you purchase our software and services, you’re getting a limited license. This means we, our partners and suppliers still own all the rights to the software and services. We’re allowing you to use them according to these terms.
If your license is for personal use:
You get a license for the software and services you’ve subscribed to, that belongs to you, and only you. You can’t transfer that license to anyone else.
We’re allowing you to use your license:
- For as long as you continue to pay any applicable fees for your subscription or until the subscription ends
- For the length of time you chose when you made your purchase or, if you didn’t choose a subscription length, one year.
- On the number of devices, for the number of users you chose when you made your purchase. If you didn’t choose, you can only use your license on one device for one user.
- If your devices and operating systems meet our requirements. It’s up to you to make sure your devices are kept up to date and meet those requirements. (It’s good security practice to keep your devices up to date, too.)
If you’re using your license for small business:
You get a license for the software and services you’ve subscribed to, just like in the terms as above. The only difference is, only people employed by the small business may use the software and services and only for internal business operations.
You must make sure to register each license you purchase, using the same email address as in your account profile. If you purchase new licenses using that email address, we will make sure they have the same renewal date as the licenses you first purchased. We will automatically pro-rate the cost to reflect the shorter initial term of the new licenses. Additional licenses you purchase using a different email address not associated with your account will be for the term you purchased, without a discount.
What about free software and services?
Sometimes, we offer software and services free of charge, like an additional feature in a paid subscription, a pre-release, beta software or a courtesy service that may be in an experimental phase. The terms in this agreement apply to free software and courtesy services too, unless we’ve said otherwise. Some limitations may apply, and we’ll let you know what these are when we make the free software or courtesy services available to you. You can use free software and courtesy services for as long as we provide them to you.
What about minors?
You must comply with the law when using our software and services. If the product you purchase includes tracking features, you may only use them to track and monitor children if you have a legal right to do so. That means you must be a parent, legal guardian or have other legal authorization.
What can’t I do with McAfee’s software and services?
Our rights as owners or licensors of the software and services are protected by law. This means if you do something, like the following examples, your subscription will probably be canceled, and we might need to take further action. You don’t want that. Here are some examples: Don’t…
- try to figure out the source-code, including by reverse engineering or decompiling the software or services;
- make any modifications to the software or services;
- commercialize the software or services, including by selling, lending or renting them;
- use a pirated version of the software or services;
- create any product or service based on the software or services;
- transfer the software or services to anyone else, including by sub-licensing or assigning them;
- use the software or services to do anything illegal;
- publish or make copies of the software (other than backups);
- interfere with anyone else’s use of the software or services;
- try to get around any technical protection measures in the software and services;
- exceed any applicable content storage or bandwidth limitations;
- use a multi-user product to track and monitor any other person without their consent;
- install the software or services on more devices than you are permitted to, (including by failing to delete the software or services from a device before you sell or transfer ownership of it); or
- continue to use the software or services after your rights to use the software or services have expired or been terminated.
For software and services that qualify for technical support, you’ll receive the standard support offering for the length of your paid subscription. Check your receipt when you buy your software or services to see if your purchase qualifies. Our standard support offerings, policies and procedures may change from time to time and vary by country.
How do updates to McAfee software and services work?
We regularly release upgrades, enhancements and modifications to our software and services (updates). Once an update becomes available, we may stop supporting the previous version of the software or services. To make sure you can use new features we develop, you agree to let us install updates in the background while you do other things. We may also provide updates for free software and courtesy services, but we are not obligated to.
What happens when McAfee discontinues software, services, or features?
From time to time we may discontinue or remove certain software, services or particular features of the software or services. When we stop offering it for purchase, download, or renewal, it reaches end of sale and you won’t be able to renew your subscription after the end of sale date. Sorry, but in order to make new and better things, sometimes we have to stop supporting older products. We also have to make changes to features of the software and services if required by third party platforms and software that are outside of our control.
Payment and automatic renewal
If you purchased your software from McAfee and not from a third party, when you share your payment information (credit or debit card or other payment type) with us, you are authorizing us (or, our authorized partner) to charge your payment type for the initial purchase amount, as well as any subscription renewals.
Updating your payment details
If any of your payment details change (like card number or expiry date) please let us know as soon as possible so we can continue to provide the software and services when it comes time for renewal.
Sometimes we may receive updated credit or debit card information from your card issuer or the card network, which we’ll use to update your payment details automatically. We may also retry failed payments to complete transactions, including by retrying failed cards by extending expiration dates. You consent for us to charge your payment type using the updated details.
How does automatic renewal work?
If you purchased your software from McAfee and not from a third party, your paid subscription will be automatically renewed at the end of its term, unless you’ve decided not to enroll in or have opted-out of automatic renewal. We’ll email you in advance to let you know that your subscription is due for renewal and will charge your payment type within 30 days before the subscription is due to end. The amount charged will be the price of the software or services at the time of renewal, which might be different to the amount you originally paid. It is your responsibility to ensure the email address on your account is up-to-date. If your software or services have been renamed, upgraded or replaced with a new offering we’ll provide the new offering at no more than its renewal price at the time of your renewal, provided it has reasonably comparable features. If automatic renewal doesn’t apply in your location, we will state this at the time of purchase.
McAfee may change the price you pay for the Software or Services at any time after the introductory period (if applicable) and for any of the following reasons: legal or regulatory reasons; improvements to the services we offer or new features; or in response to market factors such as changes in taxes, inflation, currency fluctuations or changes in infrastructure or administrative costs.
How do I turn off automatic renewal?
If you don’t want to continue your subscription, you can turn off automatic renewal at any time by logging in to your My Account Page or contacting Customer Service. Be sure to do this more than 30 days before your subscription term expires so your payment type isn’t charged for your next renewal. Remember, if you turn off or don’t enroll in automatic renewal, you won’t be able to access premium features that we offer to subscribers of our automatic renewal service. If you forget to turn off automatic renewal you have 60 days after you’re charged to request a refund and cancel your subscription. Our Refund Policy forms part of these terms and provides details on what is refundable and how to submit a request, so make sure you read them.
When does this agreement officially end?
This agreement will end when your right to access the software and services expires or is ended by us or you. After it ends, you’re not allowed to use the software and services anymore and you must permanently delete the software and services from your devices.
Can I cancel my subscription?
Of course, you can, but you’ll be giving up all the online protection we provide. If you’re absolutely sure, you can cancel your subscription any time before it’s expiry date. Check our Refund Policy before you cancel though, because you may not qualify for a full refund. If you don’t qualify, the good news is you’ll be able to keep using the software and services until the end of the cancelled paid subscription period.
Will my subscription be suspended or cancelled if I break the terms of this agreement?
Yes. If you violate this agreement or any of the additional terms and conditions that apply, we’ll have to suspend or end your use of the software or service. When we end it, we may also close your account.
What happens to my data after this agreement ends?
We delete all your stored or backed-up content (information, text, files, links, images and all other materials you provide to us) in accordance with our internal policies after you have deleted or uninstalled your software. You’re responsible for storing and backing-up your content before termination. Hard drive and cloud storage space is cheap, so don’t forget!
Terms specific to certain products and services
Some of our software and services have a few extra terms of service not covered here. You can find more information on our website.
Virus Removal, TechMaster Services or Virus Protection Pledge
We will make every reasonable effort to remove viruses and malware from your device. However, we can’t guarantee that all malware and viruses can be removed because some attacks are far more sophisticated than a simple scan can handle. You can find additional information in the TechMaster TOS and VPP Terms.
Password Management products and features
We never have a copy of your master password or your encryption keys, so you’re responsible for keeping them safe. Use a strong, hard to guess master password and keep your keys in a safe place, because if you lose them, we can’t help you get back into your account. There is no “reset password” option.
WebAdvisor uses a lot of fancy math to figure out whether or not a website is safe to browse. As good as it is though, it can’t spot every threat or understand the nature of every website. Ratings don’t guarantee a site is completely free from risk, and good ratings don’t mean we endorse the website, or it’s services. WebAdvisor’s “Secure Search” is powered by Yahoo!, by default. If you turn Secure Search on, your searches will go through the Yahoo! Network. You can change your browser’s default search engine options in your browser’s settings.
Home Scanner feature
If you’ve purchased this feature, you’ll need to opt-in for it to work. By turning Home Scanner on, you’re giving us permission to identify devices that connect to your home Wi-Fi network. This helps us spot devices that have poor security and could put your safety at risk. You can opt out of Home Scanner at any time. Home Scan is just for your home Wi-Fi network. Home Scan collects data from every device on your network, so be sure to let your friends and family know their devices will be scanned before you give them your Wi-Fi password.
Your antivirus protection may include features that monitor the security status of your device, automatically sending us reports about suspected malware and other unwanted software. This automatic reporting helps us quickly detect and respond to new threats, providing better protection for your device. The reports may include files that contain suspected malware. These types of files are unlikely to contain any of your personal data, but if we think a suspicious file is likely to contain your personal data, we will seek your permission to send the file. You can turn off this automatic reporting from your antivirus protection in your product.
VPN (Virtual Private Network)
If you’ve purchased this feature, you must comply with our fair use policy. This means, when using McAfee’s VPN, you must not do anything that imposes or may impose an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our infrastructure. If you breach this fair use policy, we may suspend your use of the VPN function without liability to you.
Identity Monitoring Services
McAfee® Identity Theft Protection
These terms only apply if you have enrolled in, are entitled to, or use our identity protection services from us or one of our trusted partners (these Services are sometimes referred to as the "Identity Protection Services"). Your entitlement under these Services may be specified in the documents that accompanied your purchase or enrollment and the additional product terms of service that apply (located at: www.mcafee.com/legal under Product Terms of Service) and are available on our website.
Dark web monitoring services
The Dark Web can be a scary place! It’s basically just the internet, but an encrypted version, so it’s harder to find out who owns websites. Because of this, people buy and sell all kinds of information, like credit card numbers and identification.
Our dark web monitoring service searches dark web data available to us and alerts you if the personal data you have chosen to monitor has been found on the dark web. By using the service, you understand and agree to the following additional terms:
We cannot remove your breached information from the dark web.
It is your responsibility to keep your contact information up to date, review the alerts and take any recommended actions to reduce the risk of further misuse of your data. We do not guarantee that our recommendations will prevent such misuse.
We do not guarantee that our data sources contain all instances in which your personal information has been compromised, nor do we claim that our service can prevent your information from being hacked in the first place.
- We provide you alerts based on the dark web data available to us. We do not guarantee the accuracy of information we provide you.
- We can only monitor the information that you have chosen to provide us for monitoring. You must ensure it is accurate.
- If you choose to receive alerts via SMS messaging, you are responsible for all SMS messaging and data plan fees charged by your mobile service provider.
- You must be over the age of 16 to use our dark web monitoring service.
- You may only provide your own personal data for monitoring. You must not provide the personal data of any other person. We will not be liable to any third person if you provide their data in breach of this restriction.
- You must not use our dark web monitoring service to obtain someone else’s information without their consent.
SMS and text messaging
If you choose to provide us your phone number, we may use it to register your McAfee subscription and/or send you service notifications and reminders. Message and data rates may apply. You can opt out of receiving our SMS and text messages by following the instructions you received in the message or at the time you provided your phone number (typically by replying “STOP”). For help, you can contact service.mcafee.com.
Guarantees and disclaimers
30 Day Money Back Guarantee
In the first 30 days of your purchase, you can decide to cancel your subscription for any reason and ask us for a refund of the amount you paid. Additional remedies may be available in the country in which you purchased the McAfee software, and some are outlined at the end of this document.
Attacks on Data
Security breaches might involve attacks on your data. For example, viruses and other malware might delete, destroy, alter or encrypt data and files on your device. If this happens, you could lose access to your data and files. You agree that it is your responsibility to back-up and store all data and files on your devices so you can safely restore them, if you need to. As we mentioned earlier in these Terms, hard drive and cloud storage space is cheap. You should back up your important files to a reputable online data storage service and do it often. We’re not liable for any lost or damaged files or interruptions as a result of attacks on your data.
High risk activities
The software and services are not fault-tolerant and are not designed or intended for high-risk activities such as use in hazardous environments requiring failsafe performance, including nuclear-facilities operations, air traffic communication systems, weapons systems, direct life-support machines, or any other application in which the failure of the software or services could lead directly to death, personal injury, or severe physical or property damage. We do not make any express or implied warranty of fitness for high-risk activities.
Limitation of liability
Our liability and that of our affiliates, suppliers, licensors or other third-party service providers to you, under or in connection with these terms, is (a) limited to the price you paid for the applicable software or services for the subscription term during which the event or circumstance giving rise to the liability occurred, or USD$100 in respect of free software; and (b) excludes any liability to you for any: (i) indirect, special, incidental, or consequential loss or damage, including loss of profits, loss of goodwill, loss of personnel salaries, work stoppage, computer failure or malfunction or loss of data; or (ii) theft of personally identifiable information.
We make no warranties, representations, express or implied, in relation to the software or services, including warranties or conditions of merchantability, performance, satisfactory quality, fitness for purpose, title, and non-infringement. The software and services are provided "as is". You are responsible for selecting the software and services to achieve your intended results and for installing and using the software or service. We do not warrant or guarantee the software or services’ use or performance. We do not warrant or guarantee that the software or services’ operation will be failsafe, uninterrupted, or free from errors or defects, that the software or services will protect against all possible security threats, or that there will be no malfunctions or other errors in the software or services caused by virus, infection, worm or similar malicious code not introduced or developed by us. We are not liable for any downtime or service interruption, for any lost or stolen data or systems, or for any other damages arising out of or relating to any actions or intrusions.
You agree that the limitations of liability and disclaimers in this section reflect the fee charged for the software and services, which would be higher without these limitations. Nothing in this agreement limits any rights you may have under existing consumer-protection statutes or other applicable laws that may not be waived in your jurisdiction, including those specifically mentioned in the local law section.
Some general housekeeping
What happens when McAfee makes changes to these terms?
Sometimes we make changes to these terms and post them to our website. If you don’t agree to any of the changes you can end your subscription by not renewing, as outlined above, and uninstalling the software. If you renew your subscription, you accept the most recent version of these terms. If you’ve accepted more than one version, the most recent version will replace all older versions.
For free software and services, you accept changes to these terms by continuing use the free software and services. If you don’t agree to any of the changes, you must stop using the service and uninstall the free software.
Can I give McAfee my feedback?
We love to receive your feedback about the software and services. Keep in mind that we’ll use it without restriction.
What about data charges?
You’re responsible for paying all data and mobile charges associated with using the software and services.
What country’s laws apply to these terms?
It’s no secret that different countries have different consumer laws. Use of the software and services and any claims will be subject to:
- the laws of the state of New York, or if the laws of the state of New York are found not to apply, then the laws of the state of Delaware,
- the laws of the Province of Ontario, Canada, if you acquired the software and services in Canada;
- the laws of New South Wales, Australia if you acquired the software and services in Asia, Australia, New Zealand and Oceania, excluding Japan;
- the laws of Japan if you acquired the software and services in Japan (but excluding its choice of law rules);
- The national laws of the country where you acquired the software and services if acquired in the European Union, Iceland, Norway or Switzerland;
No matter which local law applies, the following will always be excluded:
- conflict of law principles;
- The United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods; and
- the Uniform Computer Information Transactions Act.
What if there’s a dispute?
Most disputes can be resolved informally by contacting Customer Service. If we are unable to reach an agreement to resolve the dispute, our preference is to resolve any disputes through arbitration. If you live in the United States, however, you agree to resolve all disputes relating to this agreement through arbitration or in small claims court, as we explain in more detail in the “Binding arbitration and class action waiver” section below.
The software and services are subject to export controls under the U.S. and local country laws. You agree that you will not directly or indirectly export, transmit, permit access or use of the software or services and their related documentation and technical data to an individual, entity, or country to which export, transmission or access is restricted by export control laws, without the required authorization of the Bureau of Industry and Security of the U.S. Department of Commerce or other governmental entity with jurisdiction over export or transmission. You will not use, transfer or access any McAfee products for end use relating to any nuclear, chemical or biological weapons, missile technology, or the military end use or for a military end user per 15 CFR Part 744.21 unless authorized by the U.S. or relevant local government by regulation or specific license. If we receive notice that a user is or becomes identified as a sanctioned or restricted party under applicable law, we will not be obligated to perform any of our obligations under these terms if it would result in violation of the sanctions or restrictions. Additional information regarding exporting and importing McAfee products may be found here, as updated from time to time.
These terms are the entire agreement between you and us relating to your use of the software and services. These terms supersede any prior agreements or terms between you and us in relation to the software and services, and any other communications, representations, or advertising relating to them.
We provide versions of these terms translated from English for your convenience only. If there is any difference in meaning or interpretation between a translated version and the English version, the English version applies.
We will only waive a provision of these terms in a signed document.
The software and services are licensed to you by one of these legal entities:
- McAfee, LLC, a Delaware limited liability company, with offices located at 6220 America Center Drive, San Jose, California 95002, USA, if the software is downloaded in the United States, Mexico, Central America, South America, or the Caribbean;
- McAfee Consumer Affairs North, LLC, a Delaware limited liability company, with offices located at 6220 America Center Drive, San Jose, California 95002, USA, if the software is downloaded in Canada;
- McAfee Ireland Limited, with offices located at Building 2000 City Gate, Mahon, Cork, Ireland if the software is downloaded in Europe, the Middle East, Africa, the Pacific Rim, or Australia; or
- If the software is downloaded in Japan, the software is licensed by McAfee, LLC. Any services are provided by McAfee Co., Ltd. with offices located at Shibuya Mark City West 1-12-1, Dougenzaka, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 150-0043, Japan, if the software is downloaded in Japan.
McAfee contact information
Customer Service & Technical Support: http://service.mcafee.com
Attn: McAfee Legal Department
5000 Headquarters Drive
Plano, Texas 75024
You agree to comply with the McAfee Website Terms of Service, which are incorporated into these terms.
Local law provisions
For consumers in Australia
Where any of the consumer guarantees under the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth) (CCA) apply to the software or services, and the CCA voids or prohibits a provision in these terms excluding, restricting or modifying such consumer guarantees, then, our liability arising out of the supply of software and services for failure to comply with such consumer guarantees is limited to the provision of the following remedies:
Our services come with guarantees that cannot be excluded under the Australian Consumer Law. For major failures with the service, you are entitled:
- to cancel your service contract with us; and
- to a refund for the unused portion, or to compensation for its reduced value.
You are also entitled to be compensated for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage. If the failure does not amount to a major failure you are entitled to have problems with the service rectified in a reasonable time and, if this is not done, to cancel your contract and obtain a refund for the unused portion of the contract.
Our goods come with guarantees that cannot be excluded under the Australian Consumer Law. You are entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure and compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage. You are also entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced if the goods fail to be of acceptable quality and the failure does not amount to a major failure.
This warranty is made by McAfee Ireland Limited. Please send any claims under this warranty to:
McAfee Security Australia Pty Ltd
40 Mount Street
North Sydney, NSW, 2060
For consumers in France
Conformément aux dispositions de l’article L. 215-4 du code de la consommation, les clauses suivantes sont reproduites :
Pour les contrats de prestations de services conclus pour une durée déterminée avec une clause de reconduction tacite, le professionnel prestataire de services informe le consommateur par écrit, par lettre nominative ou courrier électronique dédiés, au plus tôt trois mois et au plus tard un mois avant le terme de la période autorisant le rejet de la reconduction, de la possibilité de ne pas reconduire le contrat qu'il a conclu avec une clause de reconduction tacite. Cette information, délivrée dans des termes clairs et compréhensibles, mentionne, dans un encadré apparent, la date limite de non-reconduction.
Lorsque cette information ne lui a pas été adressée conformément aux dispositions du premier alinéa, le consommateur peut mettre gratuitement un terme au contrat, à tout moment à compter de la date de reconduction.
Les avances effectuées après la dernière date de reconduction ou, s'agissant des contrats à durée indéterminée, après la date de transformation du contrat initial à durée déterminée, sont dans ce cas remboursées dans un délai de trente jours à compter de la date de résiliation, déduction faite des sommes correspondant, jusqu'à celle-ci, à l'exécution du contrat.
Les dispositions du présent article s'appliquent sans préjudice de celles qui soumettent légalement certains contrats à des règles particulières en ce qui concerne l'information du consommateur.
Lorsque le professionnel n'a pas procédé au remboursement dans les conditions prévues à l'article L. 215-1, les sommes dues sont productives d'intérêts au taux légal.
For consumers in the Netherlands
Any automatic renewal of your original subscription will be for an indefinite term. You may terminate your renewed subscription any time after renewal by contacting Customer Service and providing at least 30 days’ notice of your intent to terminate and we will provide a prorated refund in accordance with local law.
Binding arbitration and class action waiver
This clause applies to U.S. customers.
Agreement to arbitrate
You and McAfee agree that any claim or dispute arising out of or relating to this agreement (claim) will be resolved by confidential binding arbitration governed by the Federal Arbitration Act. This includes claims made by us, by you, on your behalf or by persons connected with you or us, such as employees, subsidiaries and successors.
You and we agree that no class action or other collective, consolidated, or representative action may be asserted by arbitration, court or otherwise. All claims, whether in arbitration or otherwise, must be brought solely in your or McAfee’s individual capacity, and not as a plaintiff or class member in any purported class or collective proceeding. We and you waive the right to initiate or participate in a class action or litigate a claim in court before a judge or jury.
Notice of dispute
Before initiating arbitration, a party must give the other party 60 days’ advance written notice. Notices to us should be addressed: McAfee, 5000 Headquarters Drive, Plano, TX 75024, Attention: Legal Department. The notice must include your name, address, and contact information, the facts giving rise to the dispute, and the relief requested. You and we must use reasonable efforts to resolve any dispute through informal negotiation within 60 days from the date the notice of dispute is sent. After 60 days, either party may commence arbitration if the dispute is unresolved. These notice obligations do not modify the statute of limitations applicable to any claim.
Administration of arbitration
- There will be a single, neutral arbitrator, who will be either a lawyer admitted to practice in the relevant jurisdiction with at least 10 years’ experience, or a retired judge selected in accordance with the rules of the American Arbitration Association (AAA), who will be bound by the terms of this agreement.
- The arbitration rules (Commercial Arbitration Rules or Consumer Arbitration Rules of the AAA), as modified by this agreement will apply.
- All arbitration proceedings will be conducted in English.
- Except for claims or counter-claims seeking less than US$25,000, the arbitrator will issue a reasoned written decision sufficient to explain the essential findings and conclusions on which the award is based and the award will be confidential and only disclosed as is necessary to obtain judgment or as otherwise required by law.
The Filing fee is payable by whoever initiates the arbitration. If an award is made in your favor we will reimburse you the filing fee if paid by you. We may reimburse or advance you the filing fee or other expenses if we are satisfied there is good reason to do so (e.g. you cannot afford the fees). The arbitration rules will apply in respect of all other fees and expenses and each party will bear its own legal costs and expenses, unless the arbitrator determines otherwise.
Small Claims Court option
If you are an individual consumer, you may choose to resolve your claim in small claims court in your county of residence or in Santa Clara County, California if you meet the court’s requirements.
Preservation of provisional remedies
Despite this arbitration clause, we will still be free to resort to self-help remedies or seek injunctive relief, attachment or garnishment orders at any time.
This arbitration agreement will prevail over any conflicting terms in the arbitration rules or any other applicable arbitration terms. If any part of this arbitration agreement is deemed invalid or unenforceable it will not invalidate the other provisions of the arbitration agreement; provided, however, that (a) if the prohibition on class-wide arbitration is deemed invalid, then this entire arbitration agreement will be null and void; and (b) if the prohibition on arbitration of representative claims brought in a private attorney general capacity is deemed invalid, then the arbitration agreement will be null and void as to such claims only.
Waiver of jury trial
If for any reason a claim proceeds in court rather than through arbitration, you and we agree that there will not be a jury trial. You and we unconditionally waive any right to trial by jury in any dispute that in any way relates to or arises out of the agreement or from any software or services. In the event of litigation, this paragraph may be filed to show a written consent to a trial by the court. This paragraph in no way invalidates the agreement to arbitrate disputes.
For European Union Customers
Online Dispute Resolution Service (ODR) & Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR). We are required by law to provide a link from our website to the EU ODR Platform: https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-travel-eu/consumers/resolve-your-consumer-complaint. We are not obligated to use ADR should you have a complaint with us. If you do have a complaint with us which we cannot resolve using our internal complaints handling procedures, we will contact you by letter or email about whether we are prepared to submit to ADR. You may contact us through our website.
Last Updated: October 20, 2021
McAfee Secure Home Platform
Welcome to the McAfee Secure Home Platform! These Terms of Service (“Terms”) affect your legal rights, so please read them carefully. These Terms apply to your access and use of a home wireless network (the “Home Network”) that is protected by McAfee Secure Home Platform (“Platform”). If you will be managing the settings of the Home Network through the Secure Home Platform mobile application (the “App”), then these Terms also apply to you (“Home Network Administrator”) and your use of the App. You may access the Home Network from your personal computer, tablet, mobile device or other Internet-capable device (“your Device”). In order to access and use the Home Network and/or the App, you must agree to these Terms. The Platform and the App are provided by the applicable McAfee legal entity identified in Section 17 (collectively, “McAfee”, “we”, “us”, or “our”).
By clicking “I accept”, or by accessing or using the Home Network and/or the App, you agree to be bound by these Terms and all terms incorporated by reference. We have included links to additional terms, such as our Privacy Notice which are important and together create this legal agreement that applies to you. If you do not agree to these Terms, including the mandatory arbitration provision and class action waiver in Section 12, you may not access or use the Home Network or the App.
McAfee reserves the right to change or modify these Terms at any time and in our sole discretion. If we make changes to these Terms, we will provide notice of such changes, such as by providing notice through the Home Network or updating the “Last Updated” date at the beginning of these Terms. By continuing to access or use the Home Network and/or App, you confirm your acceptance of the revised Terms and all of the terms incorporated therein by reference. We encourage you to review the Terms frequently to ensure that you understand the terms and conditions that apply when you access or use the Home Network and/or App. If you do not agree to the revised Terms, you may not access or use the Home Network and/or App.
1. SHARING OF DATA
You acknowledge that the Home Network Administrator may receive information about your use of the Home Network, including without limitation, your name, the type of Device you have, and the sites that you visit (for example, the Home Network Administrator may receive a notification if you visit a website that has parental control restrictions enabled). If you do not wish for the Home Network Administrator to receive this information, do not use the Home Network.
Our Privacy Notice is incorporated by reference into these Terms, and you understand that you are agreeing to the terms therein by accessing or using the Home Network and/or App. Please review the Privacy Notice for additional information about how we collect, use, and disclose information about you. The Privacy Notice applies solely to our use of information about you. You acknowledge that the policy does not govern the Home Network Administrator’s use of any information about you that the Home Network Administrator receives, or any use of your information by any Internet Service Provider or other third party.
3. ADDITIONAL PROVISIONS REGARDING THE APP
Use of the App is permitted only by the Home Network Administrator. If you are not the Home Network Administrator, you have no right to use the App. If you are the Home Network Administrator, in order to use the App, you will need to register for a Platform user account (“Account”) through the App. By creating an Account, you agree to (i) provide accurate, current and complete Account information, (ii) maintain and promptly update, as necessary, your Account information, and (iii) maintain the security of your Account credentials. You agree that we can rely on the instructions of the person that establishes the Account related to your Home Network. You are not permitted to let other individuals use your Account credentials. You understand that letting another individual control the Home Network through your Account may result in changes to your Platform configurations and permissions. You acknowledge that McAfee has no responsibility to you with respect to the actions of such parties. As such, you are solely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your Account login information and for all activities that occur under your Account.
4. UNLAWFUL AND PROHIBITED USE
As a specific condition of your access to the Home Network, you explicitly agree not to use the Home Network for any purpose that is unlawful or prohibited by these Terms. You agree: (i) not to violate any applicable law, contract, intellectual property or other third-party right or commit a tort; (ii) not to engage in any harassing, threatening, intimidating, predatory or stalking conduct; not to use the Home Network in any way that could damage, disable, overburden, or impair the Home Network, or interfere with anyone else's use of the Home Network, (iii) not to attempt to gain unauthorized access to the Platform or the App, through hacking, password mining or any other means, (iv) not to attempt to reverse engineer any portion of the Platform or the App, or attempt to infringe the intellectual property rights of others in any way, (v) not to obtain or attempt to obtain any materials or information through any means not intentionally made available through the Home Network or App, (vi) to act responsibly and not use the Home Network or App for any fraudulent, unlawful, harassing, abusive, illegal, or unauthorized purpose, or engage in, encourage or promote any activity that violates these Terms. You further acknowledge and agree that a violation of these Terms may result in a denial of access to the Home Network and App without notice and may subject you to administrative penalty and/or criminal liability.
Additionally, if you are a Home Network Administrator, you agree that you will not permit anyone else to access or use your Account.
5. SECURITY WARNING
Wireless communications, including those sent over the Home Network, are not secure communications. McAfee is not responsible for the privacy of activity using the Home Network. For security purposes, activity on the Home Network may be monitored, but there is no obligation on McAfee to do so or to take any action even if it does.
6. AVAILABILITY OF THE PLATFORM; AUTOMATIC UPDATES
Availability of the Platform. While we aim for the Platform to be highly reliable and available, you acknowledge that it may not be available 100% of the time. The Platform is subject to sporadic interruptions and failures for a variety of reasons beyond our control, including router failure, Wi-Fi intermittency, service provider or your mobile carrier uptime, viruses, bugs or other issues present in your router equipment, computer or other devices connected to your Home Network, and your App configurations, among others. You acknowledge these limitations and agree that McAfee is not responsible for any damages allegedly caused by the failure or delay of the Platform. Additionally, you are solely responsible for any fees charged directly by such third parties in connection with your use of the Platform and for your compliance with all applicable agreements and policies provided by such third parties.
Automatic Updates. We may from time to time develop updates, patches, bug fixes, and other modifications to the Software (“Updates”) at no cost to you. Updates may be automatically installed without providing any additional notice or receiving any additional consent from you. By accessing or using the Software, you consent to automatic Updates. You further acknowledge that you may be required to install Updates to use the Software, and to promptly install any Update we provide.
7. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS
McAfee Property. You acknowledge that all of the intellectual property rights, including without limitation copyrights, patents, trademarks, and trade secrets in the Platform and the App (and in the underlying technology) are owned by McAfee, its affiliates or its licensors. All rights not expressly licensed are reserved.
Feedback. You may choose to, or we may invite you to submit, comments, ideas, suggestions, or concerns about the Platform and the App (collectively, “Feedback”). By submitting any Feedback, you agree that your submissions are voluntary, gratuitous, unsolicited, and without restriction, and will not place McAfee under any fiduciary or other obligation. You acknowledge that McAfee may use, copy, modify, publish, or redistribute your submissions for any purpose without any compensation to you. You further agree that McAfee does not waive any rights to use similar or related ideas previously known to McAfee, whether developed by its employees or obtained from other sources.
8. LIMITED LICENSE
We are pleased to grant you a nonexclusive, revocable, non-assignable, non-sublicensable, limited license to use the Platform and the App for personal use only and in accordance with these Terms and all applicable laws and regulations. The Platform is intended to be used only on the router on which it is pre-installed, and the App is intended to be used only on a supported mobile device owned by you. Unless explicitly stated by us, nothing in these Terms shall be construed as conferring any right or license to any patent, copyright, trademark, or other proprietary right of McAfee or any third party, whether by estoppel, implication or otherwise. This license is nontransferable and is revocable by us in the event you violate this Agreement. Upon any termination of this license, you must immediately cease all use of the Platform and App.
9. LIMITED WARRANTY; DISCLAIMERS
Except for the limited warranty below, McAfee disclaims any and all other warranties, and any and all responsibility for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage of any kind resulting from, arising out of, or in any way related to (a) any errors in or omissions on or from the Home Network or App, including but not limited to technical inaccuracies and typographical errors, (b) any third party websites or content therein directly or indirectly accessed through links on the Home Network or App, including but not limited to any errors in or omissions contained therein, (c) the unavailability of the Home Network or App, (d) your use of the Home Network or App, (e) your use of any equipment or software in connection with the Home Network or App, or (f) information you might access or encounter or any activity that results from your access, encounter or activity on the internet.
Any dealings with any third parties (including advertisers and/or sponsors) appearing on the Home Network, and any other terms, conditions, warranties or representations associated with such dealings are solely between you and those third parties. We are not responsible for examining or evaluating, and do not warrant the offerings of, any of these businesses or individuals or the content of their websites. McAfee does not assume any responsibility or liability for the actions, products, or website contents of any third parties. You should carefully review their privacy statements and other conditions of use.
The Platform, Home Network, and App are provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis without warranties of any kind. McAfee makes no warranties or representations, and expressly disclaims any and all warranties, including but not limited to the implied warranties of design, merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and title, any warranties arising from a course of dealing, usage, or trade practice, and any warranties of non-infringement of any third party's patent(s), trade secret(s), copyright(s) or other intellectual property rights. McAfee will not be liable for any damages (including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, special or punitive). McAfee does not warrant that the operation of the Home Network or App will be uninterrupted or error-free. No oral or written information given by McAfee or an authorized representative of McAfee shall create any warranty.
In addition, McAfee does not represent or warrant that the Platform, Home Network, and App are accurate, complete, reliable, current or error-free, or that the content or websites that you or users of your Home Network request, receive, or visit will be safe, legal, acceptable, or appropriate for a particular age. You acknowledge that any age-based filtering based on your App configurations may not be 100% accurate, and that McAfee is not responsible in the event that certain content on your Home Network is not appropriately filtered according to your configurations. While McAfee attempts to make your access to and use of the Platform, Home Network, and App safe, we cannot and do not represent or warrant that the Platform, Home Network, or App, or our servers are free of viruses or other harmful components. You assume the entire risk as to the quality and performance of the Platform, Home Network, and App.
You acknowledge that some security breaches involve attacks on data. For example, there are viruses and other malware that: (i) delete or destroy your data (sometimes individual files, but sometimes even an entire disk by corrupting a master boot record or other key element); (ii) modify your files (such as parasitic malware that attaches itself to a file and modifies the file to enable its own execution and/or propagation); and (iii) encrypt files on your drive (such as ransomware that uses asymmetric encryption). The best way for you to protect yourself from these types of attacks is frequent back-ups of your data to another device/location. That way, you have another copy of the data in the event that the attacking software has deleted, modified, or destroyed the data. It is your sole and exclusive responsibility to back-up all data and files on your device so that they can be restored in the event of an attack on your data. Without such a back-up, it may not be possible to restore the deleted/destroyed/modified data. McAfee is not liable for loss of or recovery of data, or for files or loss of use of systems or networks arising from attacks on data.
Limited Warranty. We warrant that the Platform will perform substantially in accordance with the product description provided at McAfee.com. If you are dissatisfied with any portion of the Platform or the App, or with any of these Terms, your sole and exclusive remedy is to discontinue using the Home Network.
10. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
Under no circumstances are we or our suppliers, licensors or other third-party service providers liable to you for any: (a) indirect, special, incidental, or consequential damages; (b) theft of personally identifiable information or cost of procuring substitute services, and (c) damages for loss of profits, loss of goodwill, loss of personnel salaries, work stoppage, computer failure or malfunction, loss of data, or negligence of any kind, or for any other nondirect damage or loss. In no event will our, our affiliates’ or our suppliers’, licensors’ or other third-party service providers’ aggregate liability to you for direct damages under these terms exceed the greater of (i) the price you paid for the Platform service, or (ii) if you have not paid McAfee for the use of any services, $100.00 USD (one-hundred U.S. dollars). Nothing in these Terms limits any rights you may have under existing consumer-protection statutes or other applicable laws that may not be waived by contract in your jurisdiction.
To the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, you agree to indemnify, defend, and hold McAfee and its past, present, and future employees, officers, directors, contractors, equity holders, parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, licensors and suppliers (collectively, the “McAfee Parties”) harmless from any damages, liabilities, claims, demands, awards, judgments, losses, fees, expenses, and costs of every kind and nature whatsoever, whether known or unknown, foreseen or unforeseen, matured or unmatured, or suspected or unsuspected, in law or in equity, whether in tort, contract, or otherwise (collectively, “Claims”) made by any third party due to or arising out of (i) any misuse by you or anyone you authorize to use the Home Network, your Account, or the App; (ii) your violation of these Terms or any other applicable terms, policies, warnings, or instructions provided by McAfee or a third party in relation to the Home Network or App; (iii) any Feedback you provide; or (iv) your violation of any law or the rights of a third party. You agree to promptly notify McAfee of any third party Claims, cooperate with defending such Claims (including, but not limited to, attorneys’ fees and expenses, court costs, costs of settlement and costs of pursuing indemnification and insurance). You further agree that McAfee Parties shall have control of the defense or settlement of any third party Claims. This indemnity is in addition to, and not in lieu of, any other indemnities set forth in a written agreement between you and McAfee.
12. BINDING ARBITRATION AND CLASS ACTION WAIVER
Agreement to Arbitrate Disputes. Any claim, dispute or controversy of any kind, regardless of the type of claim or legal theory or remedy (“Claim”) by either you or us against the other arising from, relating to or in any way concerning the Terms, the Home Network, the App, or any other services you receive from us (or from any advertising for any such products or services) shall, at the demand of either party, be resolved by confidential binding arbitration. This agreement to arbitrate also includes: (i) claims relating to the enforceability or interpretation of any of these arbitration provisions; (ii) Claims by you, and also Claims made on your behalf or connected to you, such as an employee, representative, agent, predecessor, successor, heir, assignee, or trustee in bankruptcy; (iii) Claims that relate directly to us, and/or to our parent, affiliates, successors, assignees, employees, and agents; and (iv) Claims asserted as part of a class action, private attorney general or other representative action, it being expressly understood and agreed to that the arbitration of such claims must proceed on an individual (non-class, non-representative) basis and the arbitrator may award relief only on an individual (non-class and non-representative) basis. You and we agree that no class action, consolidated action, private attorney general or other representative claims may be pursued in arbitration, nor may such actions be pursued in court. By accepting this arbitration agreement, you agree to waive the right to initiate or participate in a class action, representative action, private attorney general action or consolidated arbitration in any matter encompassed by this arbitration provision.
Notice of Dispute. The party seeking arbitration must first notify the other party of the dispute in writing at least 60 days in advance of initiating arbitration. Notice should be sent to McAfee, 5000 Headquarters Drive, Plano, TX 75024, Attention: Legal Department. The notice must include your name, address, and contact information, the facts giving rise to the dispute, and the relief requested. You and McAfee will attempt to resolve any dispute through informal negotiation within 60 days from the date of the Notice of Dispute is sent. After 60 days, you or we may commence arbitration.
Administration of Arbitration. If any dispute is not resolved by informal negotiation, any claim, dispute, or controversy will be, at the demand of either party, conducted exclusively by binding arbitration governed by the Federal Arbitration Act (“FAA”), and not state law. You are giving up the right to litigate (or participate as a party or class member in) all disputes in court before a judge or jury. Instead, all disputes will be resolved on an individual basis before a single, neutral arbitrator and the proceeding shall be confidential. The arbitrator will be either a lawyer admitted to practice law in his or her jurisdiction and with at least ten years’ experience, or a retired or former judge selected in accordance with the rules of the AAA. The arbitrator is bound by the terms of this Agreement, and the arbitration shall be governed by the Commercial Arbitration Rules and Supplementary Procedures for Consumer Related Disputes of the AAA, as modified by this Agreement (the “Arbitration Rules”). For more information, see adr.org or call 1-800-778-7879.
All arbitration proceedings shall be conducted in English, and the United States FAA shall govern the interpretation, enforcement, and proceedings pursuant to the binding arbitration clause in these Terms. The award shall be confidential and only disclosed as is necessary to obtain judgment or as otherwise required by law. You and we further agree that a judgment may be entered upon the award by any court having jurisdiction. The arbitration award shall determine the rights and obligations between the named parties only, and only in respect of the claims in arbitration, and shall not have any bearing on the rights and obligations of any other dispute.
Costs. The party initiating the arbitration shall pay the initial filing fee. If you file the arbitration and an award is rendered in your favor, we will reimburse your filing fee. We will pay the fees and costs for the first day of any hearing. All other fees and costs will be allocated in accordance with the arbitration rules. However, we will advance or reimburse filing and other fees if the arbitrator rules that you cannot afford to pay them or if you ask us and we determine there is a good reason for doing so. Each party shall bear the expense of their respective attorneys, experts, witnesses, and other expenses, regardless of who prevails, but a party may recover any or all expenses from another party if the arbitrator, applying applicable law, so determines.
Right to Resort to Provisional Remedies Preserved. Nothing herein shall be deemed to limit or constrain our right to resort to self-help remedies or to comply with legal process, or to obtain provisional remedies such as injunctive relief, attachment, or garnishment by a court having appropriate jurisdiction; provided, however, that you or we may elect to arbitrate any dispute related to such provisional remedies.
Conflicting Terms. In the event of a conflict between the Arbitration Rules and this arbitration agreement, this arbitration agreement shall govern. If any portion of this arbitration agreement is deemed invalid or unenforceable, it shall not invalidate the other provisions of the arbitration agreement, provided, however, that (a) if the prohibition on classwide arbitration is deemed invalid, then this entire arbitration agreement shall be null and void; and (b) if the prohibition on arbitration of representative claims brought in a private attorney general capacity is deemed invalid, then the arbitration agreement shall be null and void as to such claims only. This arbitration agreement shall survive the termination or cancellation of these Terms. In the event of a conflict between this arbitration agreement and any other applicable arbitration provision, this arbitration agreement shall control.
Waiver of Jury Trial. If for any reason a claim proceeds in court rather than through arbitration, you and McAfee agree that there will not be a jury trial. You and McAfee unconditionally waive any right to trial by jury in any dispute that in any way relates to or arises out of these Terms or from any services you receive from us (or from any advertising for any such services). In the event of litigation, this paragraph may be filed to show a written consent to a trial by the court.
13. GOVERNING LAW
Except as provided in Section 18 below, these Terms, your access to and use of the Home Network, the relationship of the parties, and any disputes arising out of, concerning, or relating to the Terms, including any disputes between you and McAfee, will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of New York, excluding its conflict of law principles, except that the FAA governs all provisions relating to arbitration. If for any reason, the laws of the State of New York are found not to apply, then these Terms, the use of the Platform, the relationship of the parties, and any disputes arising out of, concerning, or relating to these Terms, including any disputes between you and McAfee, will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Delaware, excluding its conflict of law principles, except that the FAA governs all provisions relating to arbitration. The United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods and the Uniform Computer Information Transactions Act do not apply to the Home Network.
These Terms will remain in full force and effect so long as you continue to access or use the Home Network and/or App, or until terminated in accordance with the provisions of these Terms. At any time, McAfee may (i) suspend or terminate your rights to access or use the Home Network and/or App, or (ii) terminate these Terms with respect to you if McAfee in good faith believes that you have used the Home Network or App in violation of these Terms, including any incorporated guidelines, terms or rules. Upon termination of these Terms, your right to use the Home Network and App will automatically terminate.
If any provision or part of a provision of these Terms is unlawful, void or unenforceable, that provision or part of the provision is deemed severable from these Terms and does not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining provisions.
16. ENTIRE AGREEMENT
These Terms constitute the entire agreement between you and McAfee relating to your access to and use of the Home Network and, if you are the Home Network Administrator, your access to and use of the App. The failure of McAfee to exercise or enforce any right or provision of these Terms will not operate as a waiver of such right or provision. The section titles in these Terms are for convenience only and have no legal or contractual effect. Except as otherwise provided herein, these Terms are intended solely for the benefit of the parties and are not intended to confer third party beneficiary rights upon any other person or entity.
17. LICENSING ENTITIES
The Platform is licensed to you by one of these legal entities:
(a) McAfee, LLC., a Delaware corporation, with offices located at 2821 Mission College Blvd., Santa Clara, California 95054, USA, if the Platform is used in North America, Central America, South America, or the Caribbean;
(b) McAfee Ireland Limited, with offices located at Building 2000 City Gate, Mahon, Cork, Ireland if the Platform is used in Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Asia, or the Pacific Rim; or
(c) McAfee Co., Ltd. with offices located at Shibuya Mark City West Building 12-1, Dougenzaka 1-Chome, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 150-0043, Japan, if the Platform is used in Japan.
18. LOCAL LAW
The subsections below contain information regarding the local laws of certain jurisdictions that will apply to this Agreement and may supersede certain provisions as referenced herein.
Australia – For consumers in Australia:
The benefits to you under the limited warranty in Section 9 of this Agreement are in addition to other rights and remedies of you may have under a law in relation to the goods or services to which the warranty relates. Our goods come with guarantees that cannot be excluded under Schedule 2 of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth) (“Australian Consumer Law”). You are entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure and compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage. You are also entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced if the goods fail to be of acceptable quality and the failure does not amount to a major failure. This warranty is made by McAfee Ireland Limited, with offices located at Building 2000 City Gate, Mahon, Cork, Ireland, but you may call 1-800-998-887 with questions regarding our warranty for Australian customers. Any claims made under this warranty must be sent, at your expense, to the following address:
McAfee Australia Pty Ltd
201 Miller Street
North Sydney NSW 2060
For customers located in Australia, if a tangible medium on which software was delivered is defective, you must return the defective medium to us at your expense, with a copy of your receipt, within 14 days of discovering the defect. We will notify you of receipt within 14 days of receiving it.
The disclaimers in Section 9 do not apply to you to the extent that Australian law does not allow the exclusion or limitation of any applicable statutory guarantees, express or implied warranties, conditions, representations or terms. In that case, the express or implied warranties are limited to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law.
The limitations on liability set forth in Section 10 do not apply to consumers in Australia.
Nothing in this agreement limits any rights you may have under existing consumer-protection statutes or other applicable laws, including Australian consumer law, that may not be waived by contract in your jurisdiction.
Canada – If you downloaded the App in Canada, unless expressly prohibited by local law, then these Terms, the use of the Home Network and App, the relationship of the parties, and any disputes arising out of, concerning, or relating to these Terms, including any disputes between you and us, will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws in force in the Province of Ontario, Canada.
European Union, Iceland, Norway, or Switzerland – If you acquired the App in the European Union, Iceland, Norway, or Switzerland, then national law of the country where you downloaded the App applies.
Japan – If you downloaded the App in Japan, then these Terms, the use of the Home Network and App, the relationship of the parties, and any disputes arising out of, concerning, or relating to these Terms, including any disputes between you and us, will be governed by and construed in accordance with Japanese law without regard to its choice-of-law rules.
19. ADDITIONAL TERMS FOR THE APP
NOTICE REGARDING APPLE
Notwithstanding any terms to the contrary in these Terms, the following additional terms will apply to the download of the App for use on the iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad:
You and McAfee acknowledge that these Terms are solely between you and McAfee, and not with Apple, Inc. ("Apple"), and that McAfee, not Apple, is solely responsible for the Software, the content thereof, maintenance, support services and warranty therefor, and addressing any claims relating thereto (e.g., product liability, legal compliance or intellectual property infringement). You acknowledge and agree that the availability of the App is dependent on the third party from which you received the App, e.g., the Apple iPhone App Store ("App Store"). You agree to pay all fees charged by the App Store in connection with the App (if any). You further acknowledge that the usage rules for the App are subject to any additional restrictions set forth in the Usage Rules for the Apple App Store Terms of Software ("Apple Usage Rules") as of the date you download the App. In the event of any conflict between the terms and conditions of the Apple Usage Rules and the terms and conditions of these Terms, the terms and conditions of the Apple Usage Rules will govern if they are more restrictive.
Scope of License. The license granted to you is limited to a non-transferable license to use the App on any iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad that you own or control as permitted by the Apple Usage Rules.
Maintenance and Support. McAfee is solely responsible for providing maintenance and support services with respect to the App. You acknowledge and agree that Apple has no obligation whatsoever to furnish any maintenance and support services with respect to the App.
Warranty. You acknowledge and agree that Apple is not responsible for any product warranties, whether express or implied by law, with respect to the App. In the event of any failure of the App to conform to any applicable warranty, you may notify Apple, and Apple will refund the purchase price, if any, paid to Apple for the App by you, and to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, Apple will have no other warranty obligation whatsoever with respect to the App. You also acknowledge and agree that to the extent that there are any applicable warranties, or any other claims, losses, liabilities, damages, costs or expenses attributable to any failure to conform to any such applicable warranty, such will be the sole responsibility of McAfee. However, you understand and agree that, in accordance with these Terms, McAfee has disclaimed all warranties of any kind with respect to the App, and therefore, there are no warranties applicable to the App, except those implied by law.
Product Claims. You and McAfee acknowledge and agree that as between Apple and McAfee, McAfee, not Apple, is responsible for addressing any of your claims or any third party claims relating to the App or your possession and/or use of the App, including, but not limited to (a) product liability claims, (b) any claim that the App fails to conform to any applicable legal or regulatory requirement, and (c) claims arising under consumer protection or similar legislation.
Intellectual Property Rights. You and McAfee acknowledge and agree that, in the event of any third party claim that the App or your possession and use of the App infringes that third party’s intellectual property rights, McAfee, and not Apple, will be solely responsible for the investigation, defense, settlement and discharge of any such intellectual property infringement claim to the extent required under these Terms.
Legal Compliance. You represent and warrant that (a) you are not located in a country that is subject to a U.S. Government embargo, or that has been designated by the U.S. Government as a "terrorist supporting" country, and (b) you are not listed on any U.S. Government list of prohibited or restricted parties.
Developer Name and Address. Any end-user questions, complaints or claims with respect to the App should be directed to: http://service.mcafee.com
Third Party Beneficiary. The parties acknowledge and agree that Apple and Apple’s subsidiaries are third party beneficiaries of these Terms, and that, upon your acceptance of the terms and conditions of these Terms, Apple will have the right (and will be deemed to have accepted the right) to enforce any of the terms and conditions of these Terms against you as a third party beneficiary thereof. However, the right of McAfee to terminate, rescind, or make any change to these Terms is not subject to the consent of any other person.
20. CONTACT US
Virus Removal & Techmaster Services
Terms of Service – Virus Removal & TechMaster Services
Thank you for using McAfee Virus Removal Service or TechMaster services (“Service or Services”), provided by McAfee or one of our affiliates (“we” or “us”). This is a legal agreement between us—installing or accessing our software or using our Services means you are agreeing to these terms, so please read them carefully.
These Terms of Service (“Agreement”),along with our License Agreement, cover your rights to use the Services, restrictions on that use, our right to automatically renew and charge you for any subscription services (“Subscription Services”), and your agreement to arbitrate any dispute that may arise between us. We have included links to our Privacy Notice as well as system requirements and other limitations specific to your purchase that are available on our website by visiting the product description page or data sheet that corresponds to your purchase, all of which are incorporated by reference and together create this legal Agreement that applies to you. PLEASE PAY PARTICULAR ATTENTION TO THE BINDING ARBITRATION PROVISION AND CLASS ACTION WAIVER IN THE LICENSE AGREEMENT THAT AFFECT HOW DISPUTES ARE RESOLVED.
If you are accepting these terms on behalf of another person or company or other legal entity, you represent and warrant that you have full authority to bind that person, company or legal entity to these terms.
1. Accepting this Agreement and Modifications – By using our Services or clicking an acceptance button and/or installing any software, you agree unconditionally to be bound by our License Agreement and these Terms of Service and acknowledge that it is enforceable as a written contract signed by you. If you do not unconditionally agree to all of these terms, do not use the Services or install, use or access our software. WE MAY MODIFY THIS AGREEMENT FROM TIME TO TIME AT OUR SOLE DISCRETION FOR ANY REASON. For example, we may need to reflect changes in the law or updates in how the Services are provided. It is very important that you keep your account information current, including your email address and other contact information. If we make material changes to this Agreement, we will communicate the changes to you via the contact information you provided (or through other means) and give you an opportunity to review and accept or reject the updated Agreement as set out below.
For paid subscriptions, you accept change(s) to this Agreement by renewing the subscription, and the change(s) will be effective upon the next renewal of your subscription. If you do not agree to the Agreement as amended, then you reject the Agreement by turning off auto renewal and ceasing all use of the Service. If you violate this Agreement, we may terminate your access to and use of Services.
For free Services, you accept change(s) to this Agreement by continuing to use the free Services after the notice described in this section. If you reject the updated Agreement, your right to use the free Services is terminated and you must cease all access to and use of the free Services. If you violate this Agreement, we may terminate your access to and use of the free Services.
2. Services Description – Our Services cover a wide range of technical support issues on specified PCs, tablets and mobile devices (“Device” or “Devices”). During the applicable term, you are entitled to contact our support specialists (“Service Agent”) through telephone, chat, or remote computer access to obtain the specific type of Service you purchased (“Service Ticket”). The Service Agent will undertake reasonable efforts to complete the Service during your interactive session. You will have seven days after the session concludes to contact us for additional assistance for the same issue before we consider the Service Ticket fulfilled and closed. Additional limitations may apply depending on the specific terms of the offer as set forth in Section 6.
3. Specific Services and Non-Transferability – You may have purchased one or more of any of the following Services as described below:
|SERVICES||DESCRIPTION OF SERVICE|
|Virus Removal Service||Our Service Agent assesses your Windows PC to determine whether it has been infected by malware, and uses commercially reasonable efforts to diagnose and remove any malware found.|
|Tune-Up for PC||Our Service Agent assesses the operational health of your computer, and takes steps to improve its efficiency. This may entail adjustments to system settings and the disabling or removal of unnecessary applications and system clutter.|
|Set-Up & Optimize||Our Set-Up & Optimize services offer remote, over the phone guidance in setting up your computer, smartphone or tablet. Get experienced help setting-up your home network, connecting the right peripheral devices, improving your PCs performance, or installing common software.|
|Advanced Troubleshooting||Our Advanced Troubleshooting services offer remote, over the phone help for troubleshooting and resolving computer problems or optimizing your PC performance.|
|Concierge Gold||A subscription that includes all the Services described above.|
|Concierge Platinum||A subscription that includes all the Services described above, as well as a one-year license for McAfee Total Protection and McAfee TechMate.|
The Services are not transferable. You may not sell, lease, license, rent, loan, resell or otherwise transfer, with or without consideration, the Services, without our written approval in advance. You may not permit third parties to benefit from the use or functionality of the Services via a timesharing, service bureau or other arrangement on behalf of any other third party or with respect to any hardware or software not personally owned by you. This Agreement shall apply to any other Services whether or not listed in the chart above, if there is no other applicable terms of service.
4. System Requirements and Your Obligations – All hardware, software and system requirements for utilizing our Services are listed on our website on the PDP. To receive the Services, a high speed internet connection is highly recommended and may be required. Some Devices may not be able to receive the Services even if initial testing shows that your network connection is qualified, or that your Device type and/or operating system is supported.
You agree that you are a legal license holder of the software on your Device and your use of the Services and the Internet is solely at your own risk. To receive the Services, you must agree to: (1) follow the procedures and fulfill the requirements we provide for the Services; (2) work with the Service Agent performing the routines they specify; (3) have full access to your Device and hardware that are the basis of the problem, (4) backup your Device content before your session begins; (5) be responsible for any loss, alterations or corruption of your data, software, or files; (6) ensure your Device meets all requirements and specifications required for each software application installed; (7) provide the Service Agent with required passwords and key codes; (8) ensure you have all legal rights, including copyrights for all software and other files on your Device; (9) assume responsibility for problem resolution due to third party hardware and software compatibility issues; and (10) indemnify us and our subcontractors from and against any and all liabilities, damages, claims, or proceedings arising out of your failure for not complying with the above items.
5. Remote Access and Third Party Applications – In order to provide the Services, we may ask you to download and install certain tech support enablement software (“Support Tools”) that allows remote access to your Device. You authorize us to remotely access and take control of your Device using the Support Tools during any interactive sessions. If you do not authorize remote access, do not download the Support Tools. We may use third party Support Tools with additional licensing terms that apply. We will undertake reasonable efforts to remove the Support Tools after each session; however, the Support Tools may leave behind system report(s) and/or activity log file(s). In addition, for subscription services, we will install TechMate software on your Device, which performs tune-ups and other system performance improvements during the term of your subscription. This software will be deactivated upon the expiration of the subscription.
6. Service Limitations – Services may be subject to any of the following limitations; refer to the applicable Product Description Page ("PDP"), your purchase confirmation email and/or offer details for limitations specific to your purchase:
- Language and geographic limitations;
- System limitations;
- Specific terms of the offer.
7. Limited Redemption Period and Refund Rights – Your right to use any of the Services, as well as your rights to obtain a refund for any service not used, vary depending on the type of Service(s) purchased as specified on your purchase confirmation email. Note: Some states and jurisdictions do not allow for the limitation of refund rights as described in this clause so this clause many not apply to you. Furthermore, this clause does not affect any other applicable refund rights.
8. Single Incident Services: Payment and Refunds – Single Incident services (“Single Incident Services”) shall be provided on a per-incident basis. The term “per-incident” means that the service will address a single issue or problem for a customer. You agree that we may charge to your credit card or other valid payment mechanism requested by you and approved by us all amounts due and owing to us for any Single Incident Service. Unless otherwise agreed by us in writing, all payments for the Single Incident Services must be made at the time of purchase prior to receiving the Services from us. Refunds are only available for paid, standalone purchases of Single Incident Serviceware suite.
- For PC Tune-Up Incident Services, you are eligible for a refund within thirty (30) days of purchase in the event any of the folowing apply:
1. Purchased the wrong service offering
2. Service was not used
3. Issue could not be resolved
4. Service was not available
5. Duplicate purchase or other error in purchase
- For Single Incident Services such as VRS, your eligibility for a refund is subject to applicable redemption limitations as set forth on the PDP. All Single Incident Services have a customer satisfaction 30-day money back guarantee.
No refunds are offered for Services bundled with other software or included in a software suite.
9. For Subscription Services: Automatic Renewal and Cancellation – See "Payment & Support Terms" in the License Agreement
10. Refunds on Subscription Services: Refunds on Subscription Services are permitted as follows subject to any additional limitations set out on the corresponding PDP:
|1 incident used
||2 incidents used
||More than 2
11. Privacy – For information on how we collect, use, and share your personal data through our website, products, services, and web-based mobile applications, please see our Privacy Notice.
12. Disputes: See the License Agreement Provision on Binding Arbirtaration and Class Action WaiverContracting Entities:
13. Contracting Entities: The Services are offered to you by one of these McAfee legal entities:
- McAfee, LLC, a Delaware limited liability company, with offices located at 2821 Mission College Blvd., Santa Clara, California 95054, USA, if the Software is downloaded in North America, Central America, South America, or the Caribbean;
- McAfee Ireland Limited, with offices located at Building 2000 City Gate, Mahon, Cork, Ireland if the Software is downloaded in Europe, the Middle East, Africa, the Pacific Rim, or Australia; or
- McAfee Co., Ltd. with offices located at Shibuya Mark City West Building 12-1, Dougenzaka 1-Chome, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 150-0043, Japan
14. Limitation of Liability, General Legal Provisions, and Governing Law: See License Agreement.
15. Entire Agreement. Notwithstanding any of the foregoing, nothing in the terms will derogate from any rights you may have under existing consumer protection legislation or other applicable laws in your jurisdiction. The terms, including the License Agreement and Privacy Notice which are incorporated into this Agreement are the entire agreement between the parties relating to the Services and: (i) supersede all prior or contemporaneous oral or written communications, proposals, and representations with respect to its subject matter; and (ii) prevail over any conflicting or additional terms of any quote, order, acknowledgment, or similar communications between the parties, provided however that between any corresponding Product Description Page and this Agreement, the Product Description Page controls. The terms shall terminate immediately upon your breach of any term contained herein and you shall cease use of the Services. The disclaimers of warranties and damages and limitations on liability set forth in the terms shall survive termination.
16. McAfee Contact Information
Customer Service & Technical Support: http://service.mcafee.com
Attn: McAfee Legal Department
5000 Headquarters Drive
Plano, Texas 75024
McAfee Website Terms of Service
1. Introduction and Scope
This document is an agreement between You and McAfee, LLC and its subsidiaries (“McAfee,” “our,” “we” or “us”). You acknowledge and agree that by accessing or using this website or other websites or webpages owned and operated by McAfee or its subsidiaries, you have agreed to be bound and abide by these terms of service (“Terms of Service”), our privacy notice (“Privacy Notice”) and any additional terms that apply. These Terms of Service govern your access to and use of McAfee.com and other websites or webpages owned and operated by McAfee or its subsidiaries (the “McAfee Sites”), including any content functionality and services offered on or through the McAfee Sites. If you do not agree to all of these Terms of Service and any additional terms that apply to you, do not use the McAfee Sites.
Please consult McAfee’s website for more information regarding our Privacy Notice, DMCA Copyright Policy, Refund Policy, Terms of Sale, Anti-Piracy Policy, Trademark Guidelines, Virus Protection Pledge and other valuable information (the “Policies”). All of these policies are incorporated into these Terms of Service by reference.
2. Change to the Terms of Service
McAfee may revise these Terms of Service at any time without giving notice. All revisions are effective immediately when posted, and apply to any access to and use of the McAfee Sites thereafter. Your continued use of the McAfee Sites following the posting of changes to these Terms of Service constitutes acceptance of those changes. If you do not agree to any changes made to these Terms of Service, you may not access or use the McAfee Sites.
3. Accessing the McAfee Sites and Account Security
We reserve the right to withdraw or amend any of the McAfee Sites, and any service or material we provide on the McAfee Sites, at our sole discretion without notice. We will not be liable if for any reason all or any part of the McAfee Sites are unavailable at any time or for any period. From time to time, we may restrict access to some parts of the McAfee Sites, or all of the McAfee Sites, to users, including registered users.
You are responsible for:
- Making all arrangements necessary for you to have access to the McAfee Sites.
- Ensuring that all persons who access the McAfee Sites through your internet connection are aware of these Terms of Service and comply with them.
To access the McAfee Sites or some of the resources they offer, you may be asked to provide certain registration details or other information. It is a condition of your use of the McAfee Sites that all the information you provide on the McAfee Sites is correct, current and complete. You agree that all information you provide to register with the McAfee Sites or otherwise, including but not limited to through the use of any interactive features on the McAfee Sites, is governed by our Privacy Notice, and you consent to all actions we take with respect to your information consistent with our Privacy Notice.
If you choose, or are provided with, a user name, password or any other piece of information as part of our security procedures, you must treat such information as confidential, and you must not disclose it to any other person or entity. You also acknowledge that your account is personal to you and agree not to provide any other person with access to the McAfee Sites or portions of them using your user name, password or other security information. You also agree to ensure that you exit from your account at the end of each session. You should use particular caution when accessing your account from a public or shared computer so that others are not able to view or record your password or other personal information.
You agree that you are entirely responsible for the security of your password and for all aspects of keeping your account secure. Furthermore, you are entirely responsible for any and all activities that occur on your account. You agree to notify us immediately of any unauthorized access to or use of your user name or password or any other breach of security. We will not be liable for any loss that you may incur as a result of someone else using your password or account, either with or without your knowledge. However, you can be held liable for losses incurred by us or another party due to someone else using your account or password. You may not use anyone else’s account at any time without the permission of the account holder.
We have the right to disable any user name, password or other identifier, whether chosen by you or provided by us, at any time in our sole discretion for any or no reason, including if, in our opinion, you have violated any provision of these Terms of Service. Additionally, we reserve the right to determine if you have violated these Terms of Service, and to take any other action we deem appropriate, including termination or suspension of your access to and use of the McAfee Sites.
4. Intellectual Property Rights
All content, features and functionality on the McAfee Sites, including, but not limited to, Marks (defined below), designs, text, graphics, sounds, images, videos, software, and other McAfee Site materials are the intellectual property of McAfee, one of its affiliates, its licensors or other providers of such material, and (i) are protected by United States and international copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret and other intellectual property or proprietary rights laws, and (ii) except as stated herein, may not be modified, copied, displayed, transmitted, published, reproduced or distributed in any form without our prior written permission. If you wish to make any use of material on the McAfee Sites prohibited by this section, you may request permission by writing to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you print, copy, modify, download or otherwise use or provide any other person with access to any part of the McAfee Sites in breach of these Terms of Service, your right to use the McAfee Sites will cease immediately and you must, at our option, return or destroy any copies of the materials you have made. No right, title or interest in or to the McAfee Sites or any content on the McAfee Sites, except for the nonexclusive, limited license expressly granted to you, is transferred to you, and all rights not expressly granted are reserved by McAfee. Any use of the McAfee Sites not expressly permitted by these Terms of Service is a breach of these Terms of Service and may violate copyright, trademark and other laws.
Provided that you comply with these terms, McAfee grants to you a nonexclusive, limited license to access and use the McAfee Sites as a current or potential customer, vendor, or business partner of McAfee or for non-commercial purposes. You may not use the McAfee Sites for any other purpose. We reserve all rights not expressly granted herein.
5. Trademarks and Brands
McAfee, the McAfee logo, and all related names, logos, product and service names, designs and slogans (“Marks”) are the exclusive and valuable property of McAfee or its subsidiaries. The Marks can only be reproduced or displayed with our specific prior written permission, and only in accordance with McAfee Trademark Policy and Guidelines available on McAfee's website.
6. Limited Copyright Permission
Subject to the terms of an applicable software or service license or other written agreement, McAfee grants you permission under its copyrights to display, copy, or download materials from the McAfee Sites for personal, non-commercial and informational use only, provided that You DO NOT:
- Modify the Materials;
- Remove or alter any copyright or other proprietary notices contained in the Materials;
- Frame or utilize framing techniques, to display the Materials at a domain not owned by McAfee; or
- Use any McAfee-owned mark or product name as a meta-tag or other “hidden text” for search engines in a manner that does not inure benefit to McAfee.
Where McAfee has provided a translation of the English-language version of a McAfee Site, these Terms of Service, or other materials, you agree that:
- The translations are only for your convenience;
- The English-language version governs your use of the materials provided by McAfee; and
- The English-language version shall take precedence in the event of a conflict between the English-language version and the translated version (except as prohibited by local law).
The McAfee Sites may contain typographical, technical inaccuracies or other content errors. We do not warrant the accuracy of any information posted on the McAfee Sites. You should use only the current McAfee Sites dedicated to your country or geographic region and also confirm the accuracy and completeness of information through sources other than the McAfee Sites before making decisions relating to products, services or other matters made available through the McAfee Sites. We disclaim all liability and responsibility arising from any reliance placed on information posted on the McAfee Sites by you or any other visitor to the McAfee Sites, or by anyone who may be informed of any of its contents.
9. User Contributions
The McAfee Sites may contain message boards, chat rooms, personal web pages or profiles, forums, bulletin boards and other interactive features (collectively, "Interactive Services") that allow users to post, submit, publish, display or transmit to other users or other persons (hereinafter, "post") content or materials (collectively, "User Contributions") on or through the McAfee Sites.
All User Contributions must comply with the Content Standards set out in these Terms of Service.
Any User Contribution you post to the McAfee Sites will be considered non-confidential and non-proprietary. By providing any User Contribution on the McAfee Sites, you grant us and our affiliates and service providers, and each of their and our respective licensees, successors and assigns the right to use, reproduce, modify, perform, display, distribute and otherwise disclose to third parties any such material for any purpose.
You represent and warrant that:
- You own or control all rights in and to the User Contributions and have the right to grant the license granted above to us and our affiliates and service providers, and each of their and our respective licensees, successors and assigns.
- All of your User Contributions do and will comply with these Terms of Service.
You understand and acknowledge that you are responsible for any User Contributions you submit or contribute, and you, not McAfee, have full responsibility for such content, including its legality, reliability, accuracy and appropriateness. We are not responsible, or liable to any third party, for the content or accuracy of any User Contributions posted by you or any other user of the McAfee Sites.
We reserve the right to:
- Remove or refuse to post any User Contributions for any or no reason in our sole discretion.
- Take any action with respect to any User Contribution that we deem necessary or appropriate in our sole discretion, including if we believe that such User Contribution violates these Terms of Service, including the Content Standard, infringes any intellectual property right or other right of an person or entity, threatens the personal safety of users of the McAfee Sites or the public or could create liability for McAfee.
- Disclose your identity or other information about you to any third party who claims that material posted by you violates their rights, including their intellectual property rights or their right to privacy.
- Take appropriate legal action, including without limitation, referral to law enforcement, for any illegal or unauthorized use of the McAfee Sites.
- Terminate or suspend your access to all or part of the McAfee Sites for any or no reason, including without limitation, any violation of these Terms of Service.
Without limiting the foregoing, we have the right to fully cooperate with any law enforcement authorities or court order requesting or directing us to disclose the identity or other information of anyone posting any materials on or through the McAfee Sites. YOU WAIVE AND HOLD HARMLESS MCAFEE AND ITS AFFILIATES, LICENSEES AND SERVICE PROVIDERS FROM ANY CLAIMS RESULTING FROM ANY ACTION TAKEN BY MCAFEE OR ANY OF THE FOREGOING PARTIES DURING OR AS A RESULT OF ITS INVESTIGATIONS AND FROM ANY ACTIONS TAKEN AS A CONSEQUENCE OF INVESTIGATIONS BY EITHER MCAFEE OR ANY OF THE FOREGOING PARTIES OR LAW ENFORCEMENT AUTHORITIES.
We do not undertake to review material before it is posted on the McAfee Sites, and cannot ensure prompt removal of objectionable material after it has been posted. Accordingly, we assume no liability for any action or inaction regarding transmissions, communications or content provided by any user or third party. We have no liability or responsibility to anyone for performance or nonperformance of the activities described in this section.
10. Content Standards
These content standards apply to any and all User Contributions and use of Interactive Services. User Contributions must in their entirety comply with all applicable federal, state, local and international laws and regulations. Without limiting the foregoing, User Contributions must not:
- Contain any material which is defamatory, obscene, indecent, abusive, offensive, harassing, violent, hateful, inflammatory or otherwise objectionable.
- Promote sexually explicit or pornographic material, violence, or discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age.
- Infringe any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other intellectual property or other rights of any other person.
- Violate the legal rights (including the rights of publicity and privacy) of others or contain any material that could give rise to any civil or criminal liability under applicable laws or regulations or that otherwise may be in conflict with these Terms of Service and our Privacy Notice.
- Be likely to deceive any person.
- Promote any illegal activity, or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act.
- Cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety or be likely to upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person.
- Impersonate any person, or misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person or organization.
- Involve commercial activities or sales, such as contests, sweepstakes and other sales promotions, barter or advertising.
- Give the impression that they emanate from or are endorsed by us or any other person or entity, if this is not the case.
11. User Information; Copyright Infringement
If you elect to submit any information, including any confidential or proprietary information, other than credit card information, through the McAfee Sites, it will be deemed and treated by McAfee as NON-CONFIDENTIAL. Other than credit card information, if you submit any information to McAfee through the McAfee Sites, you hereby grant us a royalty-free, perpetual, worldwide, irrevocable, non-exclusive license (including a waiver of any moral rights) under your intellectual property rights to use, copy, modify, display, perform and distribute any such submitted information, and to incorporate any submitted information into other works in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed. We are not responsible for the accuracy of content on any area of the McAfee Sites where users may post or transmit information. McAfee’s Privacy Notice outlines the manner in which we (or others acting on our behalf) collect, use and share information about you in connection with your use of the McAfee Sites, and it is your responsibility to review our Privacy Notice prior to agreeing to these Terms of Service.
For any claims that any content on the McAfee Sites, including user submissions, infringe upon any third-party’s intellectual property rights or rights of publicity or privacy, please refer to our DMCA Copyright Policy for the proper notification procedure.
12. Information About You and Your Visits to the McAfee Sites
All information we collect on the McAfee Sites is subject to our Privacy Notice. By using the McAfee Sites, you consent to all actions taken by us with respect to your information in compliance with the Privacy Notice.
13. Additional Terms
The McAfee products and services offered on the McAfee Sites may be subject to additional terms and conditions. Additional licensing terms and conditions apply for software you download from the McAfee Sites (including software that is required for use of certain McAfee services), which are disclosed in an End-User License Agreement (“EULA”) that accompanies or is included with such software. Use of the software is governed by the terms of the EULA. Any software that is made available for download from the McAfee Sites or for which a fee is charged is the copyrighted work of McAfee or its suppliers. If you purchase McAfee products or services, you will be unable to install any software that is accompanied by or includes a EULA, unless you agree to the terms and conditions of such EULA. Any reproduction or redistribution of the software not in accordance with the EULA is expressly prohibited by law, and may result in severe civil and criminal penalties. Violators will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible. Unless indicated otherwise, if there is a conflict between these Terms of Service and the additional terms, the additional terms will govern.
14. Third-Party Content and Links
The McAfee Sites may display content provided by third parties and links to third-party web pages, including advertisements and solicitations to purchase their products or services. You acknowledge that we are not responsible for the third-party content. You also agree that we ARE NOT responsible or liable for any losses or damages you experience with any third-party content upon which you chose to rely or advertisements to which you respond, and that you must contact the third party directly for any remedies that may be available to you. We are not responsible for any transactions you may enter into with third parties, regardless of whether you discovered them or linked to them from the McAfee Sites. If you access a non-McAfee-owned or controlled website, even if it displays one of our Marks, it is independent from McAfee and we do not have any control of the content on that website. We also are not responsible or liable to you or any third party, for any inaccuracies or other issues with the content of any materials provided by any third parties.
15. Linking to the Website and Social Media Features
You may link to the McAfee Sites, provided you do so in a way that is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation or take advantage of it, but you must not establish a link in such a way as to suggest any form of association, approval or endorsement on our part without our express written consent.
The McAfee Sites may provide certain social media features that enable you to:
- Link from your own or certain third-party websites to certain content on the McAfee Sites.
- Send e-mails or other communications with certain content, or links to certain content, on the McAfee Sites.
- Cause limited portions of content on the McAfee Sites to be displayed or appear to be displayed on your own or certain third-party websites.
You may use these features solely as they are provided by us and solely with respect to the content they are displayed with and otherwise in accordance with any additional terms and conditions we provide with respect to such features. Subject to the foregoing, you must not:
- Establish a link from any website that is not owned by you.
- Cause the McAfee Sites or portions of them to be displayed, or appear to be displayed by, for example, framing, deep linking or in-line linking, on any other site.
- Link to any part of the McAfee Sites other than the homepage of one of those sites.
- Otherwise take any action with respect to the materials on the McAfee Sites that is inconsistent with any other provision of these Terms of Service.
The website from which you are linking, or on which you make certain content accessible, must comply in all respects with the Content Standards set out in these Terms of Service.
You agree to cooperate with us in causing any unauthorized framing or linking immediately to cease. We reserve the right to withdraw linking permission without notice.
We may disable all or any social media features and any links at any time without notice in our discretion.
16. Domain-Specific Terms
Additional terms that apply to certain domains owned by McAfee are described below. Please note that specific pages on those domains may have additional terms that are not described here.
- SiteAdvisor.com: SiteAdvisor is a software program and website that provides users with an opinion to guide users about certain risks that may be associated with a website. The SiteAdvisor software displays color-coded symbols next to links provided by major search engines, and the SiteAdvisor.com site has dossier pages to provide information on the factors that affect the site rating. The SiteAdvisor site ratings are primarily derived using automated methods; the software cannot detect or examine every possible aspect of website design, nor can it determine the intent of the site owner. McAfee does not control or assume responsibility for the content of the third-party sites, and some of the third-party sites may have content that you find objectionable, inappropriate, or offensive. THE SITEADVISOR SITE RATINGS ARE NOT A GUARANTEE OF ANY PARTICULAR SITE’S SPECIFIC PRACTICES OR TRUSTWORTHINESS, AND IN NO CASE DO THE SITEADVISOR SITE RATINGS REPRESENT AN ENDORSEMENT BY MCAFEE OF THE SITE’S CONTENT, GENERAL SUBJECT MATTER, OVERALL QUALITY, OR USEFULNESS.
- McAfeeSECURE.com: The McAfee SECURE service is a paid service for website owners that examines their websites for potential vulnerabilities on a daily basis, and, if no issues are found, enables the site to display a McAfee SECURE trustmark. The McAfeeSECURE.com domain has additional specific terms governing the McAfee SECURE service at this link: https://www.mcafeesecure.com/terms.
17. Regional Product Availability
The McAfee Sites may contain references to McAfee products and services that are not available in your country or region. McAfee may not intend to announce or make available such products and services in your geographical region. For the most accurate product and service availability, please use your country- or region-specific McAfee website.
18. Export Control Laws
Any software downloaded from the McAfee Sites is subject to applicable export laws and regulations. The export or reexport of software in violation of export control laws and regulations is strictly prohibited. By downloading, purchasing or using any software from the McAfee Sites, you acknowledge that you have read and understood this notice and agree to comply with all applicable export laws and regulations.
19. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY
YOUR USE OF THE MCAFEE SITES, THEIR CONTENT AND ANY SERVICES OR ITEMS OBTAINED THROUGH THE MCAFEE SITES IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. THE MCAFEE SITES, THEIR CONTENT AND ANY SERVICES OR ITEMS OBTAINED THROUGH THE MCAFEE SITES ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS, WITHOUT ANY WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT OF PROPRIETARY RIGHTS. MCAFEE DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTY THAT THE MCAFEE SITES, OR YOUR ACCESS TO THE MCAFEE SITES, WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, SECURE, RELIABLE, TIMELY OR ERROR-FREE. MCAFEE DOES NOT REPRESENT OR WARRANT THE ACCURACY, CONTENT, COMPLETENESS, LEGALITY, RELIABILITY, OPERABILITY, OR AVAILABILITY OF ANY PRODUCTS, SERVICES, INFORMATION, OR MATERIAL DISPLAYED OR DOWNLOADED FROM THE MCAFEE SITES. YOUR USE OF THE MCAFEE SITES, INCLUDING IF YOU DOWNLOAD OR OTHERWISE OBTAIN PRODUCTS, MATERIALS OR DATA THROUGH THE USE OF THE MCAFEE SITES, SERVICES, OR PRODUCTS, IS AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK. YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM USE OF THE MCAFEE SITES, SERVICES, OR PRODUCTS OR THE DOWNLOAD OF SUCH PRODUCT, MATERIAL OR DATA. IF THE JURISDICTION WHERE YOU ARE LOCATED LIMITS THE EXCLUSION OF WARRANTIES, THEN THE ABOVE EXCLUSIONS APPLY TO THE FULLEST EXTENT AVAILABLE UNDER THE LAW.
20. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES IS MCAFEE, ITS AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES OR LICENSORS LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY DIRECT OR INDIRECT DAMAGES WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, INCIDENTAL, RELIANCE, CONSEQUENTIAL, PUNITIVE OR SPECIAL DAMAGES WHETHER OR NOT FORESEEN, PERSONAL INJURY, PAIN AND SUFFERING, EMOTIONAL DISTRESS, LOSS OF REVENUE, LOSS OF PROFITS, LOSS OF BUSINESS, LOSS OF USE, LOSS OF GOODWILL, OR DAMAGES RESULTING FROM LOST DATA OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) RELATED TO OR ARISING FROM THE MCAFEE SITES OR ON ACCOUNT OF YOUR USE, MISUSE, OR RELIANCE ON THE INFORMATION, SERVICES OR PRODUCTS AVAILABLE ON THE MCAFEE SITES, INCLUDING WEBSITES LINKED TO OR ACCESSED FROM THE MCAFEE SITES AND ANY PRODUCTS DOWNLOADED FROM, OR SERVICES ACCESSED THROUGH THE MCAFEE SITES. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL APPLY WHETHER SUCH CLAIM IS BASED ON WARRANTY, CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY (EVEN IF MCAFEE HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES). THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL APPLY TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF APPLICABLE LAW.
You agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless McAfee, its affiliates, licensors and service providers, and its and their respective officers, directors, employees, contractors, agents, licensors, suppliers, successors and assigns from and against any claims, liabilities, damages, judgments, awards, losses, costs, expenses or fees (including reasonable attorneys' fees) arising out of or relating to your violation of these Terms of Service or your use of the McAfee Sites, including, but not limited to, your User Contributions, any use of the McAfee Sites’ content, services and products other than as expressly authorized in these Terms of Service or your use of any information obtained from the McAfee sites.
22. Limitation on Time to File Claims
ANY CAUSE OF ACTION OR CLAIM YOU MAY HAVE ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO THESE TERMS OF SERVICE OR THE MCAFEE SITES MUST BE COMMENCED WITHIN ONE (1) YEAR AFTER THE CAUSE OF ACTION ACCRUES, OTHERWISE, SUCH CAUSE OF ACTION OR CLAIM IS PERMANENTLY BARRED.
23. Governing Law
These Terms of Service and all claims related to them, their execution, or the performance of the parties under them, shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of California, without giving effect to its conflict of laws provisions or your actual state or country of residence, and shall not be governed by the provisions of the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods, the Brussels or Lugano Conventions, or the Rome or Rome 1 Conventions.
24. Waiver and Severability
No waiver by McAfee of any term or condition set forth in these Terms of Service shall be deemed a further or continuing waiver of such term or condition or a waiver of any other term or condition, and any failure of McAfee to assert a right or provision under these Terms of Service shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision.
If any provision of these Terms of Service is held by a court or other tribunal of competent jurisdiction to be invalid, illegal or unenforceable for any reason, such provision shall be eliminated or limited to the minimum extent such that the remaining provisions of these Terms of Service will continue in full force and effect.
25. Entire Agreement
These Terms of Service, our Privacy Notice and other Policies incorporated by reference constitute the sole and entire agreement between you and McAfee with respect to the McAfee Sites and supersede all prior and contemporaneous understandings, agreements, representations and warranties, both written and oral, with respect to the McAfee Sites.
26. Force Majeure
Under no circumstances shall McAfee, its affiliates, subsidiaries, or licensors be held liable for any delay or failure in performance resulting directly or indirectly from acts of nature, forces, or causes beyond its reasonable control, including, without limitation, Internet failures, computer equipment failures, telecommunication equipment failures, other equipment failures, loss of data, electrical power failures, strikes, labor disputes, riots, insurrections, civil disturbances, shortages of labor or materials, fires, floods, storms, explosions, acts of God, war, governmental actions, orders of domestic or foreign courts or tribunals, non-performance of third parties, or loss of or fluctuations in heat, light, or air-conditioning.
27. Comments and Concerns
The McAfee Sites are operated by McAfee, LLC.
All notices of copyright infringement claims should be sent to the copyright agent designated in our Copyright Policy in the manner and by the means set forth therein.
All other feedback, comments, requests for technical support and other communications relating to the McAfee Sites should be directed to: email@example.com
LAST UPDATED: June 23, 2021
McAfee Virus Protection Pledge
What is McAfee Virus Protection Pledge?
From the moment you subscribe, we’re here to help keep your devices virus-free with our multi-layered protection. We want you to know that you can browse, bank and shop online safely with the knowledge that you have one of the best security services in the world protecting your digital life.
The Virus Protection Pledge provides you with the confidence that in the event a supported device gets a virus, a McAfee expert will remove it. If we can’t, we will offer a refund.
To qualify for VPP and its virus removal and refund features, you must be enrolled in our auto-renewal service and meet the requirements set forth in the Full Terms. Below is a summary of the key terms:
- VPP is only valid for qualifying products, supported devices and specified languages and countries, as set out in our System Requirements.
- Your subscription must be actively enrolled in automatic renewal (turned on) and your account must have a valid credit card, debit card, or other payment mechanism on file. If you opt out of auto-renewal, you will not be entitled to VPP and its free virus removal service and refund features.
- To be eligible for the VPP virus removal service and qualify for a refund in the event we cannot remove a virus, you must have a McAfee anti-virus product installed and active on the qualifying device prior to the infection of the virus.
- Standalone services and products which do not include AV Protection, such as McAfee WebAdvisor or McAfee True Key, are not covered. Additionally, this Pledge does not apply to small business or enterprise products and services.
- A high speed internet connection is required to perform the virus removal service.
- Eligibility ends when your paid subscription ends.
- You must purchase, renew, or upgrade your subscription directly from McAfee.com; or if you have purchased the subscription from a retailer, valid, current proof of purchase is required. Our refund will be a full refund of the actual price paid for the current subscription term.
- Applicable law or regulation(s) of the country in which you reside may limit or alter the availability or scope of the Pledge.
THIS REFUND DOES NOT APPLY TO, AND WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR, ANY LOSS OR DAMAGES CAUSED BY A VIRUS OR OTHER MALWARE.
Virus Protection Pledge – Terms & Conditions
If we are unable to remove a virus or other malware from your Qualifying Device protected by our Anti-Virus Software, you are entitled to obtain a refund (the “Pledge”) as described in these Virus Protection Pledge Terms & Conditions (these “Pledge Terms”). These Pledge Terms are subject to and governed by the McAfee License Agreement available on our website which is hereby incorporated by reference. All refunds are expressly conditioned upon your agreement to the McAfee License Agreement and these Pledge Terms.
- Refund Eligibility
In order to be eligible for a refund, you must meet the following conditions:
- The Pledge only applies to qualifying device(s) that meet the System Requirements specified in the McAfee License Agreement (each a “Qualifying Device”). Additionally, a high speed internet connection is required.
- You must have a McAfee anti-virus product installed and active on the qualifying device which is covered by the Pledge (“Anti-Virus Software”) prior to the infection of the virus. The Anti-Virus Software covered by the Pledge are listed in the System Requirements. The Pledge does not apply to standalone services and products which do not include virus protection, such as: McAfee WebAdvisor, McAfee True Key, McAfee Battery Optimizer, TechMaster PC-Tune Up, McAfee Mobile Security for iPhone and iPad, and McAfee Mobile Security for Android.
- Only paid, active subscriptions to Anti-Virus Software are eligible for a refund under the Pledge. Your eligibility for a refund under the Pledge expires upon expiration or termination of the subscription to the Anti-Virus Software.
- The Pledge is only valid in the languages and countries we support, as set out in the Virus Protection Pledge entry in the System Requirements. As of the Date Last Updated, this includes: English, in Australia, Canada, India, Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore, United Kingdom & United States.
- The Pledge does not apply to trial subscriptions or free software.
- You must purchase, renew, or upgrade your subscription directly from McAfee.com; or if you have purchased the subscription from a retailer, valid, current proof of purchase is required.
- Your subscription to Anti-Virus Software must be actively enrolled in automatic renewal. Your account must have a valid credit card, debit card, or other payment mechanism on file with us, and your automatic renewal settings must be turned on. If you opt out of autorenewal, you will not be entitled to the virus removal service or entitled to receive a refund.
- Applicable law or regulation(s) of the country in which the Qualifying Device is located may limit or alter the availability or scope of the Pledge.
McAfee is not responsible for, and the refund DOES NOT apply to any loss or damage(s) incurred as a result of viruses. This Pledge applies solely to McAfee’s efforts to remove viruses from a Qualifying Device running Anti-Virus Software. It does not apply to other attacks, security breaches, threats, or damages resulting therefrom. For example, the Pledge will not cover losses or damage resulting from malware or viruses that (i) delete or destroy your data; (ii) modify your files; or (iii) encrypt files on your drive (such as ransomware that uses asymmetric encryption). The only way for you to protect yourself from these types of attacks is frequent back-ups of your data to another device or location. Additionally, this Pledge does not apply to small business or enterprise products and services.
McAfee shall provide the virus removal services as set forth in the Virus Removal Service Terms of Service which is hereby incorporated by reference.
Annual or Monthly Anti-Virus Software Subscriptions. If you purchased an annual or monthly subscription to Anti-Virus Software, our refund will be a full refund of the actual price paid for the specific Anti-Virus Software subscription in the current subscription term (monthly or annual as purchased).
Multi-Year Anti-Virus Software Subscriptions. If you purchased a multi-year subscription to Anti-Virus Software for a lump sum price, our refund will be a refund of the actual price paid for the specific Anti-Virus Software subscription.
Bundled Subscriptions. If you purchased the subscription to Anti-Virus Software as part of a bundle of products/services, your refund will be the price of the Anti-Virus Software as posted on our website, not to exceed the total price paid for that bundle.
For all subscription types, any savings, rebates, refunds, shipping, handling, and taxes are not refundable, except in states or jurisdictions where shipping and taxes are refundable.
- Redemption and requesting a Refund
The process you must follow to redeem the pledge and request a refund is available here.
While McAfee will make commercially reasonable efforts to remove a virus from your Qualifying Device running Anti-Virus Software, you understand and agree it is possible that a virus may not be removable, and McAfee does not guarantee that it will remove all viruses from your device(s). To the extent permitted by applicable law, McAfee will have no liability for loss of or recovery of data, service, or loss of use of systems(s) or networks arising out of the Pledge or any act or omission, including negligence, by McAfee and/or its representatives. To the extent permitted by applicable law, McAfee reserves the right to refuse, suspend or terminate the Pledge in its sole discretion. The Pledge is not transferable.
If you have any questions, comments or concerns about these Terms, please contact us at: Support.
LAST UPDATED: August 2, 2016.
Redemption and Refund Process for Virus Protection Pledge
1. Confirm your McAfee Virus Protection Pledge eligibility:
- Sign in to My Account
- Click on the tab of the device you think might be infected
- Select Installed McAfee Apps
- Look for “Virus Protection Pledge”
|If you see...||It means...|
|Virus Protection Pledge: Available||You’re covered with our Virus Protection Pledge|
|Virus Protection Pledge: Not Available||You’re not yet covered – sign up for Auto-renewal to enjoy our Virus Protection Pledge|
Don’t see anything? Your subscription doesn’t offer our Virus Protection Pledge
2. If you believe your device is infected, please perform a full system scan
- Start your McAfee product.
- Click on the section of the screen labeled “Updates” to run a check for new program and virus definitions.
- Click “Scan your PC”. When the new “Scan your PC” section of the program window loads, click “Run a full scan.”
- After running the full scan, if you believe your computer is still infected, click here to download and run McAfee Malware Cleaner.
3. After running the full scan, if you believe your computer is still infected, please contact McAfee Support. Once we have determined your device has an infection, our agent will remove the identified malware from your computer. If our agent determines they cannot remove the malware from your machine, you will receive a refund (in accordance with the VPP Terms & Conditions) by:
- Reversing the original credit card transaction, if McAfee processed the original payment transaction within the last six months;
- Mailing a check or visa gift card for the amount you paid for the product, if the original payment transaction occurred through a 3rd party, or the payment was processed by McAfee more than 6 months prior.